Disable Cinnamon compositing?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
blue_wing

Disable Cinnamon compositing?

Post by blue_wing »

Hi there, running LMDE as my main OS now and I'm very happy with it but there is just one point of contention and it's the compositing in Cinnamon. The Windows version of Steam run through Wine just does not like it and it runs very slowly on my hybrid laptop even through Bumblebee. So is there any way to switch it off or do I have to switch to a non-compositing DE? Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Disable Cinnamon compositing?

Post by gm10 »

You've got the "Disable compositing for full-screen windows" in the General settings, which is disabled by default. Beyond that you'd have to change the DE. I have a feeling this can be adjusted in the nvidia driver settings though (which I have no experience with).
blue_wing

Post by blue_wing »

Yes I have that already switched off - Steam still runs very slowly when maximised full screen too and there is nothing in nvidia-settings that will speed things up. I've tried swapping Steam skins, using a 64 bit prefix, running Bumblebee via VirtualGL instead of Primus, and various other bits of Wine hackery but nada....

Strangely Wine/Steam used to run on this very same hardware with Crunchbang Linux when I used to use that a few years back so I think it's a Wine/Steam issue rather than a driver issue as the Steam Linux client works fine and all my other Wine powered games work ok. I guess I'll wait on it and try again later as I cannot be bothered to swap DE's at this moment in time!
ChrisMW
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ChrisMW »

I'm not a Steam user, but my youngest is. I installed Steam on Ubuntu based Mint and it works fine. Another idea would be to use the wine from the Stretch Backports, which is much newer and does a better job. I have not tried installing Linux Steam on Debian however, so no clue if that is doable. But its not like the differences are enormous, so that might work as well. I use some programs on Wine, and whilst it mostly works, there are interesting differences. But on Wine 3 (from the backports) things are much improved over the 1.8 version in stretch.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

This might help:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... n-Cinnamon
(item 5.1, right column)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Software & Applications”