SOLVED ! how to install Google Earth using 32bit on old laptop

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CapnGimp

SOLVED ! how to install Google Earth using 32bit on old laptop

Post by CapnGimp »

Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller
installed a base system, not sure of driver being used but DRIVER MANAGER isn't installed on this release so I haven't changed anything
All help is appreciated, I have always had it working on LMDE2 and Linux Mint for years, since 2012
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
CapnGimp

Re: how to install Google Earth using 32bit on old laptop

Post by CapnGimp »

Thanks, but I had already tried this and MAAAAANY other googled answers. NONE work. I can get it to run but the actual globe doesn't display. Just a copy of the desktop inside the boundaries where the globe is supposed to be. IF I could get an older version I think it might work.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

CapnGimp wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:40 pm Thanks, but I had already tried this and MAAAAANY other googled answers. NONE work. I can get it to run but the actual globe doesn't display. Just a copy of the desktop inside the boundaries where the globe is supposed to be. IF I could get an older version I think it might work.
I found an old GE (2011) from my backups. An installations goes the next way:

1. Install lsb-core package

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install lsb-core
2. make the file executable

chmod a+x GoogleEarthLinux.bin
3. Install Google Earth

sh GoogleEarthLinux.bin --target /tmp/ge
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=181943
old-GE.jpg
CapnGimp

Post by CapnGimp »

That worked! I appreciate your help BIGLY :lol: haha don't k0rnfuZe me with the R's nor the D's Seriously, really appreciate you taking the time to help me. That was the first time I have used the sh command to install and first for seeing the gui that was used. Going to investigate that as soon as I can get some sun on my solar panels, been cloudy for days.
youstupiddarkness

Re: SOLVED ! how to install Google Earth using 32bit on old laptop

Post by youstupiddarkness »

Google will be dropping all support for the 6.X versions of GE after October, so I hope your 2011 version is newer than that. Are you getting a warning when you start it up?

I have the same display problem with the current GE Pro 7.3.X versions with my Intel graphics, but managed to find that someone had put up a 7.1.8 version that works with Intel, but it's 64-bit.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Re: SOLVED ! how to install Google Earth using 32bit on old laptop

Post by BG405 »

youstupiddarkness wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:25 pm Google will be dropping all support for the 6.X versions of GE after October
That is a pity but not all that surprising. At least they haven't gone browser-only, yet. That had been mooted some time back.

Interesting to know about the 7.1.8 version, thanks; I'll check that out. On my netbook, the latest version runs but doesn't render the satellite view properly, although street view works quite well (some rendering issues but can live with it).
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Software & Applications”