Setting Metacity as default DE [SOLVED] (sort of)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
yummi
Level 1
Level 1

Setting Metacity as default DE [SOLVED] (sort of)

Post by yummi » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:23 am

I installed LMDE3/32bit on an older laptop with just 1GB of RAM which I think is the reason Cinnamon crashes each time I log in. However it seems that the Metacity window manager is the fallback "failsafe" when this happens and so I think I'd like to just make Metacity my default and skip Cinnamon (but leave it installed). How does one go about this? I poked around and found this:

Code: Select all

% cat /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/70-linuxmint.conf
[SeatDefaults]
user-session=cinnamon
Setting 'user-session=metacity' apparently isn't enough so I'm at a loss as to how to accomplish this - any suggestions?
Last edited by yummi on Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Setting Metacity as default DE

Post by catweazel » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:44 am

yummi wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:23 am
I'm at a loss as to how to accomplish this - any suggestions?
The reason you're at a loss is because you may be confused. Metacity is a window manager, and Cinnamon is a desktop environment. They are two completely different things.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

yummi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yummi » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:09 am

Well, yeah I know they are not equivalent, however out of the box LMDE3 falls back to Metacity, aka "failsafe mode", so there should be some way to skip the "Cinnamon has crashed; do you want to restart it?" >> click 'No' >> continue with session using Metacity and I guess whatever supporting Cinnamon bits are still running in failsafe mode, right?

I see in some older posts people have installed Mate on older systems due to Cinnamon running in software rendering mode and sucking up all their RAM; maybe that'd be a better option.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:52 am

yummi wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:09 am
I see in some older posts people have installed Mate on older systems due to Cinnamon running in software rendering mode and sucking up all their RAM
Or use XFCE, which is even easier on your system resources than MATE.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Post by catweazel » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:58 am

yummi wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:09 am
Well, yeah I know they are not equivalent,
I didn't say they weren't equivalent. I said "They are two completely different things", as in a car is not its steering wheel completely different.
yummi wrote:however out of the box LMDE3 falls back to Metacity, aka "failsafe mode"
That's a completely different issue again and has absolutely nothing to do with the question you asked originally.
yummi wrote:I see in some older posts people have installed Mate on older systems due to Cinnamon running in software rendering mode and sucking up all their RAM; maybe that'd be a better option.
Maybe.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

yummi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yummi » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:13 am

Anyway.. I've installed dwm(1) and will just use that; very fast and no more hunting around Cinnamon's various configs or reading snarky unhelpful forum posts.

Mark this SOLVED.
Last edited by Moem on Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: One remark removed. We do not armchair diagnose others here and we do not call people names either.

Moem
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Moem » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:44 am

yummi wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:13 am
Mark this SOLVED.
That's a great idea. Go ahead, that's for you as the poster to do.

Mod note:
I've removed your first remark in this post, because it contained an ablist slur. You're welcome.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

yummi
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Setting Metacity as default DE [SOLVED] (sort of)

Post by yummi » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:46 pm

Mod note:
I've removed your first remark in this post, because it contained an ablist slur. You're welcome.
Thanks. You're absolutely right, people that suffer from social and cognitive deficiencies shouldn't be discriminated against. I wish only the best for catweazel - may he overcome!

Return to “Software & Applications”