LMDE3-Cindy can't turn off Touchpad [solved by updates ]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

LMDE3-Cindy can't turn off Touchpad [solved by updates ]

Post by AZgl1800 »

I have investigated everything I can find, and while I can change the Preferences in the way the Touchpad works,
there does NOT seem to be a way to just turn the damn thing OFF altogether.

I never, ever, use the Touchpad, it is always getting in my way while typing and causing the cursor jump somewhere I don't want it..... even with the "off while typing" feature, that is not good enough.....

I always move the cursor away from the area I am typing in, and after a few seconds of no typing ( brain is thinking) , the mouse-pad becomes active again, and if I happen to touch the TouchPad, it causes a different window or tab to become active. which just really irks me to no end.

I need a way to turn it OFF for ever and more.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
becherekmg
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE3-Cindy can't turn off Touchpad

Post by becherekmg »

You can try BIOS. There is usually opportunity to disable touchpad there.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

becherekmg wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:10 pm You can try BIOS. There is usually opportunity to disable touchpad there.
that is a bad idea.....
been there, done that..... then one day the mouse quits working and you are up that creek w/o the paddle.

at least when that does occur, I can use the kybd to navigate to the touchpad and turn it back ON again....
except in this one instance, what it can't be turned off in LMDE3-Cindy period.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
yummi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yummi »

I'm not entirely sure I understand your issue as there is in fact an "Enable touchpad" option in the Mouse and Touchpad system settings. That should do it I'd think.

I was drawn to this post because what I wanted was a way to use a laptop's built-in touchpad hardware switch without triggering the OS software toggler which tends to mess things up. I was able to get around the software control by unsetting the 3 touchpad related keyboard shortcuts in Settings>Keyboard>Shortcuts>Hardware.

Maybe that helps?
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

yummi wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:18 pm I'm not entirely sure I understand your issue as there is in fact an "Enable touchpad" option in the Mouse and Touchpad system settings. That should do it I'd think.

I was drawn to this post because what I wanted was a way to use a laptop's built-in touchpad hardware switch without triggering the OS software toggler which tends to mess things up. I was able to get around the software control by unsetting the 3 touchpad related keyboard shortcuts in Settings>Keyboard>Shortcuts>Hardware.

Maybe that helps?

it does now, but at the time of my initial post, it did not, I can assure you.

that is the very first thing I looked for.
so, some updates must have fixed it.
I did not use the kybd shortcuts, I used the System Settings / kybd-touchpad settings
initially, the option to "turn it off" did not exist.

Return to “Software & Applications”