Installing Virtual Box on LMDE3 [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Installing Virtual Box on LMDE3 [SOLVED]

Post by axisofevil »

I don't presently have VirtualBox installed - but VirtBox is not in the Cindy repositories.

I could just download software from Oracle - but apparently Debian have problems getting a decent stable version from Oracle which suggests that bypassing Debian would corrupt LMDE3 (which is substantially built on Stretch).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
srq2625

Re: Installing Virtual Box on LMDE3

Post by srq2625 »

Over the last 5 years or so, I've not experience problems with VB (downloaded from their download page) on either Debian (Jessie and Stretch) and a number of Debian derivatives. I have, however, had problems with VB installed from Debian repositories.

Based on just my experience and the fact that I've seen only a small number of stability related posts, I would have no hesitation installing VB from the above Oracle site.

Of course, YMMV
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

YMMV.
but the VB that comes with the install has given me lots of problems

always download direct from Oracle.
has solved my problems with it, plus the direct download includes a link in the menu to install the Guest options.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

Thanks - I'll give it a go.

Return to “Software & Applications”