[SOLVED] Thunderbird 60 has no Calendar

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
saljut7
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Thunderbird 60 has no Calendar

Post by saljut7 »

Hendrick wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:23 pm Saw this in another topic (works great):

- Install the new version of Thunderbird
- then: sudo install xul-ext-lightning
- then: start Thunderbird and remove the Lightning add-on
- then: close Thunderbird and restart
Thx Hendrick,

for an existing Thunderbird60 under Mint19 you just need to:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install xul-ext-lightning
and restart Thunderbird. Lightning will be fixed without removing the Add-on.
All parts of this post composed (not quoted) by myself are declassified for further usage under CC-BY-SA.
ocin4

Post by ocin4 »

Hi,

I've done this:
saljut7 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:35 am Thx Hendrick,

for an existing Thunderbird60 under Mint19 you just need to:

and restart Thunderbird. Lightning will be fixed without removing the Add-on.
My Calendar is back, but now it is in English, while Thunderbird is German (as I want it to be). Does someone has any hints?

(I have to say, I use Mint 18.3)

TIA, ocin
JMMontel7184
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JMMontel7184 »

Hi all,

Thanks for the tips. My Calendar did not show up after installing Lightning manually through the terminal. It also did not show up when I manually removed TB through the terminal, and then manually installed Lightning (TB was re-installed as part of this.) What fixed things for me, finally, was removing the incompatible version of Lightning from TB's list of add-ons after doing these updates. Close, and restart. Perfect now.

Best of luck everybody. This was super annoying to wake up to. :evil:

All best,
John
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, ocin4.
ocin4 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:25 pmMy Calendar is back, but now it is in English, while Thunderbird is German (as I want it to be). Does someone has any hints?
Seems as if we will have to live with an English Lightning extension for the moment. The same can be seen on my systems: localized Thunderbird (German), non-localized Lightning (English).

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 750 days now.
Lifeline
momist
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [SOLVED] Thunderbird 60 has no Calendar

Post by momist »

Thank you so much saljut7 !!!
I've recently dismantled my old PC using LM18.3 and started using a brand new laptop, on which I installed LM19. I only just noticed that the calendar had gone missing and thought confused?!
If I hadn't found this post of yours, I was on the verge of ditching Thunderbird forever. Damn Mozilla. Firefox has been causing me greif and frustration for a couple of months now, and now it's Thunderbird as well. If I didn't have so much invested in old stuff in them, I'd be long gone.
Thanks for the guidance, your fix :

worked a treat.
momist : a follower of the Greek god Momer.
saljut7
Level 2
Level 2

Post by saljut7 »

momist wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:35 pm Thank you so much saljut7 !!!
You are welcome, but I just modified Hendrick's post. Thx to Hendrick! ;)
momist wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:35 pm If I hadn't found this post of yours, I was on the verge of ditching Thunderbird forever. Damn Mozilla. Firefox has been causing me greif and frustration for a couple of months now, and now it's Thunderbird as well. If I didn't have so much invested in old stuff in them, I'd be long gone.
Well, I wouldn't blame Mozilla too much for this. As I said there are not any problems under Debian. I think it is a problem with the Ubuntu package Mint is using. Please be thank ful that there are still companies like Mozilla providing us with very good FLOSS software and such a great community providing us with addons. :)
All parts of this post composed (not quoted) by myself are declassified for further usage under CC-BY-SA.
albaberto

Post by albaberto »

Why if I try

the output is that
the package xul-ext-lightning can not be found
I run stock LMDE3 and I did not add/modify any repository...
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, albaberto.

I am afraid a bit that all of us, who talked about and suggested the software package xul-ext-lightning, may have missed that
  • this thread is about Thunderbird on LMDE 3, not on Ubuntu based Mint 17.x/18.x/19
  • the package xul-ext-lightning might be available in the Ubuntu repositories only, not in the LMDE 3 repositories
Seems as if Debian 9 "Stretch" makes available the Lightning extension under the package name lightning, not xul-ext-lightning.
Cf. here, please: https://packages.debian.org/stretch/lightning
The relevant repository entry seems to be deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates main

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 750 days now.
Lifeline
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

@karlchen thanks for clearing that up

for the sake of clarity:
Debian 9 "Stretch" actually had no problems at all with either Thunderbird or Lightning.
Nor did Debian Buster or Debian Sid.

The problem appears to be unique to LMDE 3 and the implementation thereof.
I don't know how the problem occurred in LMDE 3, but the real life users of Debian did not experience it.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
albaberto

Post by albaberto »

Karl and sdibaja, thanks a lot for clarifying. So essentially, and correct me if I'm wrong, the take home message is that there is no solution for LMDE 3 users yet (my lightning is updated to the last version but there are still issues).

Cheers

Return to “Software & Applications”