[SOLVED] vi, vim, xed says file has changed

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fuzzy
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] vi, vim, xed says file has changed

Post by Fuzzy »

Ever since I installed Cindy, I've noticed that when I use vi, vim, or xed (I haven't used other data-entry programs yet), that if I leave the keyboard for some time (an hour, or overnight), and if I have left a document open...it will tell me that the file has changed on the hard drive, and ask me what I want to do about it.

In earlier versions of LMDE, I'd only receive this warning/question when I actually HAD modified the file using other means, while it was still open (minimized) in xed.

It is unnerving to me to see this message when I haven't otherwise modified the file(s). Plus, after closing several of these warnings throughout the first few days, I finally just ignored one. I ended up losing a day's worth of manipulation of that document, so now the issue has become more pressing to me.

(I'm sorry - I don't have the exact error/warning message in front of me now, but I will add it to this post as soon as I can.)

Thanks,
Fuzzy
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: vi, vim, xed says file has changed

Post by smurphos »

So which document? A personal file in your home folder or something else?
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Fuzzy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fuzzy »

Mostly php, html, and css files. Sometimes on a network share mounted in fstab, and other times in the local /var/www/html/subfolder - the subfolder has 755 permisions set on it.

Thanks,
Fuzzy
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

So you are running a webserver? I'll have to bow out - no knowledge there.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Fuzzy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fuzzy »

Well, the problem seems to have rectified itself, as I haven't had the problem in quite some time (probably since the day after my initial post.) I'll mark this post as "SOLVED" because no further action appears to be necessary.

Return to “Software & Applications”