<UNSOLVED> LMDE 3 Update Manager Problems

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

<UNSOLVED> LMDE 3 Update Manager Problems

Post by rbeltz48 »

Running LMDE 3 MATE on my test box. Blacklisting any packages in Update Manager does not work. I also right clicked "Ignore Updates for this package" AND Lock Version in Synaptic but I'm still getting updates to install for blacklisted packages. I don't recall, but wasn't this supposed to be addressed in the LMDE3 beta last summer?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Nuts2u
Level 3
Level 3

Re: LMDE 3 Update Manager Problems

Post by Nuts2u »

froma terminal prompt type sudo apt-mark hold (package name). The package will not be updated until you remove the hold.
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver. Welcome to Hell. Here's your copy of Windows.
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rbeltz48 »

I am aware of that command but it doesn't address solving this bug. Thanks.
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rbeltz48 »

Is anyone aware of this bug? Is there a solution somewhere?
Nuts2u
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Nuts2u »

File a bug report with the Linux Mint team.
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver. Welcome to Hell. Here's your copy of Windows.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

rbeltz48 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:00 am Is anyone aware of this bug? Is there a solution somewhere?
Assuming it's ultimately this issue: https://github.com/linuxmint/mintupdate/issues/379, then yes, it's known. No fix yet, it's on the to do list for the 19.1 release and would make its way to LMDE3 after that I guess.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

lock the versions you want in synaptic, then use synaptic as your update manager. in synaptic > preferences > general CHECK = Clicking on the status icon marks the most likely action
now you can reload synaptic and if there are any upgrades double-clicking the package will mark for upgrade, use shift or ctrl key to select multiple packages this is how i update my system and my pined packages are not updated as long as i only use synaptic. i never use mint update except for installing kernels (but i do have blacklists in there just in case but never bothered to see if they are obeyed)

Last edited by trytip on Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

trytip wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:55 pm now you can reload synaptic and if there are any upgrades double-clicking the package will mark for upgrade,
Or use the non-Mint version of Synaptic to get the "Mark all upgrades" button back.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

shouldn't have to get a version of synaptic with the upgrades enabled, mint team should have never removed it in the first place. but yeah, you're right i was guessing an LMDE user would be a bit more daring with their system and figure this out on their own
gm10

Post by gm10 »

trytip wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:04 pm shouldn't have to get a version of synaptic with the upgrades enabled, mint team should have never removed it in the first place.
Yeah, it's a bit of a weird way to get people to use Update Manager, almost Microsoft-esque, cornering the market I guess, haha. :P I wouldn't have done it that way, you can't protect people from everything.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

well i broke down and downloaded a version of synaptic that has upgrades available. but as with all my tweaks lately it seems i'm turning it more into an ubuntu machine instead of keeping it mint vanilla.

i don't really mind breaking my system, my timeshift does a pretty good job of restoring things back to "normal" even if i include broken libraries from other distros as with my wine completely copied from my arch linux partition but working better than winehq or mint repos or ubuntu repos..

i don't see why the ease of synaptic was removed in mint when mint update causes so many issues. mint update uses synaptic in the background anyway, but not using it properly. the mint update is just a python script that uses synaptic as package manger.
Last edited by trytip on Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

trytip wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:31 pm ease of synaptic
It's easy when you know how but for a non-confident newbie in their first Linux experience I'm sure the synaptic interface would make them run a mile if it was the only GUI available for package management. The more gung-ho newbie would of course wade in and start breaking stuff.. :roll: :wink:

Update Manager and Software manager maybe be imperfect tools but they do present a relatively non-threatening interface to the uninitiated which is their primary reason for being.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

trytip wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:31 pm i don't see why the ease of synaptic was removed in mint when mint update causes so many issues. mint update uses synaptic in the background anyway, but not using it properly. the mint update is just a python script that uses synaptic as package manger.
Update Manager uses Synaptic to supply the progress GUI, and Synaptic in turn uses dpkg to install the packages. It's all the same package management system, nobody is trying to re-invent the wheel. But Update Manager has a very different purpose than Synaptic.

I'm not aware of Update Manager causing "so many issues" though. If you are please do report them over at github so they can be fixed.
Nuts2u
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Nuts2u »

I'm running LMDE3 and checked Synaptic, it has the "Mark all Upgrades" button. Well actually is is an up arrow with a line above it, but it is there. The Synaptic version is 0.84.2
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Nuts2u wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:28 pm I'm running LMDE3 and checked Synaptic, it has the "Mark all Upgrades" button. Well actually is is an up arrow with a line above it, but it is there. The Synaptic version is 0.84.2
Ah, apologies, I had just assumed it was using a modified version based on the screenshot above, but I suppose that wasn't taken on LMDE3.
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rbeltz48 »

Because of thus apparent bug, I have decided not to use LMDE3. It's a real shame that I couldn't even get an answer from a Mint forum moderator. I am currently testing Mint 19 and Ubuntu MATE 18.04 and will probably choose one of them for production when Mint 17.3 support ends.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

rbeltz48 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:25 pm It's a real shame that I couldn't even get an answer from a Mint forum moderator.
Break a forum rule and you will. You seem to have their role and area of expertise confused. ;)

Return to “Software & Applications”