[SOLVED] cpu usage

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hatebreed

[SOLVED] cpu usage

Post by hatebreed »

I've noticed lately that the cpu usage has gone way up especially using web browsers. have a 4 core i7 and it's using 95 plus percent on all 4 cores and all 4 virtual cores. anyone else noticed this issue? I started noticing this after all the firmware updates.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: cpu usage

Post by kukamuumuka »

What is result for inxi -Ctm ?
hatebreed

Post by hatebreed »

CPU: Quad core Intel Core i7-2600K (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
clock speeds: max: 5900 MHz 1: 3799 MHz 2: 3799 MHz 3: 3799 MHz 4: 3799 MHz 5: 3799 MHz 6: 3799 MHz
7: 3799 MHz 8: 3799 MHz
Processes: Memory: MB / % used - Used/Total: 5853.3/16025.8MB - top 5 active
1: mem: 1433.89MB (8.9%) command: ghb pid: 17874
2: mem: 1105.15MB (6.8%) command: vivaldi-bin pid: 16911
3: mem: 405.55MB (2.5%) command: firefox pid: 10563
4: mem: 353.40MB (2.2%) command: firefox pid: 6257
5: mem: 298.20MB (1.8%) command: vivaldi-bin pid: 20574
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

You have Handbrake on and Vivaldi takes abnormal amount of memory.
https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/issues/545

Code: Select all

top | grep vivaldi

Code: Select all

top | grep handbrake
Ctrl+c interrupts top
hatebreed

Post by hatebreed »

My usage is the same with handbrake off. I checked it a little bit ago and it didn't change. Have you noticed any increase in cpu usage since all the firmware upgrades came out?
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

hatebreed wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:54 pm Have you noticed any increase in cpu usage since all the firmware upgrades came out?
No, but in this computer is Mint 17
Dr. Octagon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dr. Octagon »

Hello,

the last days (after a fresh install of LMDE 3) there was a strong increase in my CPU load by the use of Firefox, too.
In retrospect, it turned out that an extension was responsible for this, which did not cause such a problem in LMDE 2 and only by visiting Amazon (I noticed it in the thumbnails with magnifying glass function, because it bucked).
The extension called CanvasBlocker... (it's usefull btw.) ;)

With a change of paramters especially for Amazon the CPU load of over 90% disappeared.

Maybe it's also the case with you, because otherwise I never had such behavior in LMDE 2 & later in LMDE 3.

Cu
Dr. Octagon
A good stumbler doesn't fall...
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi dr. octagon....i had the same problem with canvas blocker on one of my browsers...i changed to canvas defender and now all is well...DAMIEN

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... opadkifnpm
Pavel_CZ

Post by Pavel_CZ »

Hi!
Yesterday, I posted a topic about some performance issues I found in the LMDE 3, pretty high CPU usage was one of them, so it might be also relatable to your problem. In my testing, the CPU usage was higher than usual too (but measured right after start-up without any programs running, just the operating system). Firefox without any extensions was also a bit slower to load compared to LM19 Cinnamon. The LM19 Cinnamon worked and performed just fine during my comparison.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=245&t=282707
hatebreed

Post by hatebreed »

it seems that it's not using as much cpu now. I'm averaging about 15 percent on all cpu cores with firefox and vivaldi running multiple tabs. Maybe just needed a restart.

Return to “Software & Applications”