[SOLVED] How can I get the Clearlooks theme to work on LMDE3?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BrunoMiranda
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] How can I get the Clearlooks theme to work on LMDE3?

Post by BrunoMiranda »

I just can't work with the default theme shipped with Mint nowadays. I need an immediate contrast letting me know instantly which one is the active window and the clearlooks theme does it perfectly. The default theme by far does not give contrast so I can't distinguish between the active and the background windows and I don't like the look of the minimize - maximize - close buttons. I'm honest and I hate the new Mac-looking trend on UI designs but that's me, maybe it's a sign I'm getting old and becoming a luddite.

In fact, I can just keep myself on LMDE2 just because of this.

Anyways, /rant and lets get constructive. :wink:

The clearlooks-phoenix theme is on the LMDE3 repos and I can install it, but when I go to Themes there is no entry for it on the Windows Contour option - that's what I need. It is installed but not visible or selectable.

If I install the gnome-tweak-tool it can see the clearlooks-phoenix but all the settings changed there are ignored even after logging out and back in. This seems not to be made for Cinnamon. Or at least for the version shipped on LMDE3.

So, please, any hints on how can I get the Windows Contour set to clearloolks, or clearlooks-phoenix or something alike so I can get a good cyan colorful contrast on the active window?

Many many thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Bye for now,
Bruno

(Always backup before you screw up :)
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: How can I get the Clearlooks theme to work on LMDE3?

Post by smurphos »

Clearlooks-Phenix doesn't ship a metacity-theme-3.xml only a metacity-theme-1.xml windows border theme. The former is needed for Cinnamon compatibility.

See if any of these meet your needs - viewtopic.php?f=208&t=272414.

Metabox works quite well with the Clearlooks-Phenix GTK theme, but so do most of the others,

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
BrunoMiranda
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How can I get the Clearlooks theme to work on LMDE3?

Post by BrunoMiranda »

@Smurphos, thank you so much for your reply. Metabox does the trick, you've saved my LMDE3 bacon! :mrgreen:

So, quoting your solution from your mentioned post:

Code: Select all

wget https://github.com/smurphos/Window_Borders_Mint_19/releases/download/v.0.6/metacity_for_mint19_cinn.zip

unzip metacity_for_mint19_cinn.zip -d ~/.themes

rm metacity_for_mint19_cinn.zip
Bye for now,
Bruno

(Always backup before you screw up :)

Return to “Software & Applications”