I tried to compile source install but it failed. help.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
webstuff

I tried to compile source install but it failed. help.

Post by webstuff »

I downloaded the source code but typical install procedure didn't work .. maybe because i'm running the live cd? I'm using LMDE3

I would prefer a lesson on how to compile the source I'm a newbie here. I don't want to use the FlatPak because Handbrake is very cpu intensive and I need to squeeze everything out of the cpu.

Question#1: On the machine where I have LMDE 3 installed, I downloaded (from the Handbrake website) and decompressed the source files and thought I would do the usual to compile:
sudo ./configure
cd ./build
sudo make
sudo make install

However, I got this from sudo ./configure:
probe: host tuple...(pass) x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
compute: available architectures...(pass) x86_64
find: ar...(pass) /usr/bin/ar
find: cp...(pass) /bin/cp
find: gcc...(pass) /usr/bin/gcc
find: gmake...(pass) /usr/bin/make
find: gm4...(pass) /usr/bin/m4
find: mkdir...(pass) /bin/mkdir
find: gpatch...(pass) /usr/bin/patch
find: rm...(pass) /bin/rm
find: ranlib...(pass) /usr/bin/ranlib
find: strip...(pass) /usr/bin/strip
find: gtar...(pass) /bin/tar
find: nasm...(fail) not found
find: autoconf...(pass) /usr/bin/autoconf
find: automake...(pass) /usr/bin/automake
find: cmake...(fail) not found
: name[0] = cmake
ERROR: unable to continue; configure stop.

So I did sudo apt-get install cmake and typed sudo ./configure again and anything that I see missing, I do apt-get.
However, right now, even though I have libtool and did use apt-get on libtool and is installed, ./configure still give me the erro that it's not found, unable to continue.

Help. I don't understand why doesn't Handbrake provide command where people would type it and out come the app.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: I tried to compile source install but it failed. help.

Post by smurphos »

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.2.0/deve ... ebian.html
https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.2.0/deve ... linux.html

You are missing cmake as per your error-message - apt install cmake will fix that. Check you have the other listed dependencies installed as per the first link and try again.
Last edited by smurphos on Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
webstuff

Post by webstuff »

I installed a bunch of stuff as it complained of other missing stuff.. however, at the end, now I'm stuck with missing "libtool." I did use apt-get install libtool and it's there but ./configure still complains about it being not found.
webstuff

Post by webstuff »

@smurphos Okay, I'll follow this as it gives me a way to install all those dependencies!

Thank you =)
webstuff

Post by webstuff »

I'm following here (actually this is good):

But I'm erroring out on this step:

ted@cpu:~/Downloads/HandBrake-1.2.0$ sudo curl -L 'http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/ ... _amd64.deb' -o /var/cache/apt/archives/nasm_2.13.03-1_amd64.deb
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 310 100 310 0 0 703 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 704
ted@cpu:~/Downloads/HandBrake-1.2.0$
ted@cpu:~/Downloads/HandBrake-1.2.0$ sudo dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/nasm_2.13.03-1_amd64.deb
dpkg-deb: error: '/var/cache/apt/archives/nasm_2.13.03-1_amd64.deb' is not a debian format archive
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/nasm_2.13.03-1_amd64.deb (--install):
subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/nasm_2.13.03-1_amd64.deb

I went into /var/cache/apt/archives and double check, and I have a feeling the file can't be so small:

ted@cpu:/var/cache/apt/archives$ ls nasm* -al
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1619418 May 26 2017 nasm_2.13.01-1.1_amd64.deb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 310 Dec 27 03:42 nasm_2.13.03-1_amd64.deb
ted@cpu:/var/cache/apt/archives$

There's two files that's similar, but the one we want is 310 byte (??) for nasm_2.13.03-1_amd64.deb is too small.

So I went to this site to check on the file (http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/ ... _amd64.deb) but it's not found!! so his is our problem. So how / where do I go to get this nasm_2.13.03-1_amd64.deb Do I google and just download it? Is it safe? Or is there a repository somewhere I can go in and pull it?

Thanks again.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

It looks like the handbrake instructions may be out of date as 2.13.03-1 is no longer in the Debian archive - it appears to have been superseded by 2.14-1.

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/n/nasm/

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/ ... _arm64.deb

I'd try the latter but also report the issue with the documentation here - https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake-docs/issues
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Any particular reason why you are trying to compile handbrake?

Install using:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:stebbins/handbrake-releases
apt update
sudo apt-get install handbrake-gtk
Assume this will work with LMDE
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

PPAs are not for Debian (LMDE). Just use the flatpak if you want a compiled version.
redlined

Post by redlined »

webstuff wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:29 am Question#1: On the machine where I have LMDE 3 installed, I downloaded (from the Handbrake website) and decompressed the source files and thought I would do the usual to compile:
sudo ./configure
cd ./build
sudo make
sudo make install
hi webstuff!

I see you are being advised by some of our best already, I do however want to suggest one recommendation I've been following this past couple weeks while learning to build from source on my own more often.

basically where you see sudo make install you want to replace that command with sudo checkinstall this will take you through a couple prompted questions to consider (I've found not thinking about it too much at this learning stage to be safe and just reply the suggested response in that prompt (it says things like "you probably don't want/do want this" sort of suggesting)

but the real cool thing is checkinstall ensures your build has all dependecies in the build, as well installs the .deb built and integrates it in into system package manager.

See xenopeek's guide on make essentials and checkinstall found here:
If you compile - remember build-essential and checkinstall (see also the noted thread topic on recompile from source as well, and good luck!
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi webstuff,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

If there are good alternatives to compiling software from source code, then you would be advised to use those options.

+1 in your case, for using the "flatpak" installation option.

LMDE Debian versions of Linux Mint cannot install and use PPA's in the typical Ubuntu way, but you can download the ".deb" files from the PPA and use those if you want, go to the PPA website, click "view package details" in the middle right, click the package that you want (I think for LMDE3 you would use Bionic packages), then click the deb file(s) to download them and double-click them to install them. "handbrake-cli" and "handbrake-gtk".

PPA HandBrake Releases : John Stebbins
https://launchpad.net/~stebbins/+archiv ... e-releases

Install Packages From An Ubuntu PPA On Debian Linux - LinuxConfig.org
https://linuxconfig.org/install-package ... bian-linux

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
webstuff

Post by webstuff »

AndyMH wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:20 am Any particular reason why you are trying to compile handbrake?

Install using:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:stebbins/handbrake-releases
apt update
sudo apt-get install handbrake-gtk
Assume this will work with LMDE
LMDE (and Debian) does not support PPA. I wouldn't be using Debian if LM19.1 / 19.0 could get the bootloader right.. sigh.. so this is why I'm on LM Debian. I'm not complaining about Debian...just wish LM would get the bootloader correct..I spent a lot of time and reinstallation, and I'm surprised that LMDE 3 works while LM does not. What gives. anyway...

The default Handbrake and whatever update there is (if there is any .. can't recall at the moment) that comes with LMDE is too old..doesn't have the feature that's necessary .. missing the Optimize Video (windows version has it) and as a result, I'm getting something like 10+ frames per second while the windows version only gives like 3.3 FPS because the lInux version is missing the Optimize Video. I have a lot of Videos I need to compress so I need this Optimize video and I can live with a slower compression. My hope is that the newest version of handbrake on linux offers the Optimize Video settings.. if it doesn't, well, that is not good.
webstuff

Post by webstuff »

xenopeek wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:01 am PPAs are not for Debian (LMDE). Just use the flatpak if you want a compiled version.
I've heard that Flatpak may be 50% less performance wise. I can't afford this as I need all the speed I can because I need to compress a bunch of videos. This is why I'm forced to hand compile.
Nuts2u
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Nuts2u »

Have you tried installing the Flatpak version of Handbrake? I suggest you install it and try it out. I do not know who told you that Flatpak apps run 50% slower, I can tell you they do not...I have several Flatpak apps installed on my pc and they run just fine. Plus you always have the latest version of the program. LMDE3 devs did a great job of integrating Flatpak support in LMDE3.
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver. Welcome to Hell. Here's your copy of Windows.
webstuff

Post by webstuff »

Nuts2u wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:08 am Have you tried installing the Flatpak version of Handbrake? I suggest you install it and try it out. I do not know who told you that Flatpak apps run 50% slower, I can tell you they do not...I have several Flatpak apps installed on my pc and they run just fine. Plus you always have the latest version of the program. LMDE3 devs did a great job of integrating Flatpak support in LMDE3.
I'm not going to try Flatpak until he very end. I just wan to prove that handbrake can be installed on LMDE3. I dont' want to waste my time at this point because I go to get this laptop turned in soon.
webstuff

Post by webstuff »

Is there someone who can help compile HandBrake by source and show me your commands such that it won't mess up the current installs library dependencies by using the prefix and some other stuff outlined here: (please show from start to end).

https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... -the-packa

Here's the compilation instructions:

and the installation instructions for debian, though it could be modified by redlined's suggestion of using "sudo checkinstall "

I'd like to see if it's really possible to do it by source as a proof of concept . It also helps so others can learn from this too.

I'll start another thread on using FlatPak and also getting the handbrake.deb from the PPA later (but there's no guarentee it's possible to make the *.deb compatible with Debian. For these reasons, I really want to prove it's possible of compiling by source and turning it into a debian package or somehow without screwing up the package manager. I don't have the skills to do this, so I'm asking if it's possible that someone take a stab at this and document the command and the reasons.

As an aside: Many years ago, I installed ubuntu, and I hated it because the cinnamon desktop (default desktop) came with zero application icon.. zero!!! you had to search to launch the app (this is as if you know what the F is the name of the software to begin with!! it was a cruel joke / distro) so it was from that point on that I hated ubuntu and vowed never to use it again. I also heard that the ubuntu forum / user support was crap, so that was another reason for me to stay away from ubuntu. Also, I don't know if Ubuntu still spy on it's users as some people claimed earlier version did. So I installed LM 19.1 on this old (apple2,l) but the boot manager didnt' work though LMDE 3 boot manager did work.. there's also complaint by someone on youtube complaining about he'll never use Manjaro (??) because he had all sorts of boot loader issue in between versions but there was no issue on Debian. If LMDE is a test bed in case ubuntu screws over LM (I mean, they have no reason to give you the PPA or to make it fully compatible with Debian, and why should they since they did the work?) so in this case, maybe the LMDE community should start to build something similar to PPA? As for Debian.....I think there should be a tutorial on source compile to not get wrapped up in DLL hell...so this is why I propose that someone help compile this sample, and I pick Handbrake =)

I understand the usefullness of Flatpak, but I did read about permission / security problems where if there's a rouge package, well, they've gained root, as for apt-..at most they gain is the desktop account (not sure what you call it). Also, running Flatpak will have a performance hit since it's running in a sandbox of some sort. Some application such as handbrake uses 99% of all the cores and consume 99% of the cpu, so I really want to run it native.

Thank you.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

webstuff wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:52 am As an aside: Many years ago, I installed ubuntu, and I hated it because the cinnamon desktop (default desktop) came with zero application icon.. zero!!! you had to search to launch the app
That sounds like Unity, not Cinnamon. Yes, that turned a lot of people off; I think many people left Ubuntu for Mint because of that.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi webstuff,

I gave you instructions on how to install the current handbrake-gtk using Ubuntu deb files and if those deb files do not install, please let us know, then the second link has instructions for debian LMDE users to "compile" Handbrake; I would use "bionic" as the source rather than "artful" in the instructions though. You can delete the "source" repo file afterward if you want.

I do not have LMDE3 installed anywhere to test the procedures from the 2nd link, so good luck.

Where in "Handbrake" are the "Optimize Video" options that you are looking for and can you provide a screenshot of that? What options and or handbrake procedures did you use in MS Windows version of Handbrake for optimizing and compressing videos? How did you do that before?
"Optimize Video (windows version has it) and as a result, I'm getting something like 10+ frames per second while the windows version only gives like 3.3 FPS because the lInux version is missing the Optimize Video. I have a lot of Videos I need to compress so I need this Optimize video and I can live with a slower compression. My hope is that the newest version of handbrake on linux offers the Optimize Video settings.. if it doesn't, well, that is not good."
I would recommend quickly reviewing these articles before converting videos.

How to compress large video files without losing quality using Handbrake | WebLearn Blog
http://blogs.it.ox.ac.uk/adamweblearn/2 ... handbrake/

Video Compression - Step-by-Step Handbrake Tutorial — EngageMedia
https://www.engagemedia.org/help/video- ... e-tutorial

How to Reduce Video File Size Without Losing Quality
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/reduce-vi ... g-quality/

5 Best Ways to Reduce Video Size for Faster Loading | Elegant Themes Blog
https://www.elegantthemes.com/blog/tips ... er-loading

Also, I don't know for certain that using an application installed as a flatpak has performance issues over other installation options, but you and others could test that.

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
redlined

Post by redlined »

webstuff wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:52 am Is there someone who can help compile HandBrake by source and show me your commands such that it won't mess up the current installs library dependencies by using the prefix and some other stuff outlined here: (please show from start to end).
hi webstuff, i'm game! let's do this :mrgreen:

forgive my wordiness, I tend to think out loud so this may be lengthy in that regard. I'll use code blocks so you can copy commmand using Select All to ensure no mistypes are entered. I will use only handbrake's page for build from source and how to do it, the one difference I will build for LM19.1 but intial commands I post here will be for You on Debian (aka: LMDE, I assume) whereas I'm running dependency info for Ubuntu (Mint's overlord).

Regardless, the compile and make instructions all become the same for Linux once build environment is installed and set. with the one exception I will use sudo checkinstall in leiu of sudo make install (the result of those commands does the same thing, builds a .deb file and installs it on system and updates package manager. Using checkinstall assures your build has all required dependencies before the build so No Hell need get involved.

I will also compile from source the latest stable release vs 1.2.0 (not nightly builds also offered)

First dependencies, I added checkinstall, otehrwise it is as referenced from:

sudo apt-get install autoconf automake build-essential checkinstall cmake git libass-dev libbz2-dev libfontconfig1-dev libfreetype6-dev libfribidi-dev libharfbuzz-dev libjansson-dev liblzma-dev libmp3lame-dev libogg-dev libopus-dev libsamplerate-dev libspeex-dev libtheora-dev libtool libtool-bin libvorbis-dev libx264-dev libxml2-dev m4 make patch pkg-config python tar yasm zlib1g-dev
(this is all one line so use Select All and right click copy then right click paste into terminal)

next, it is important to understand this disclaimer!
The nasm package provided by Debian 9 is too old. Install a newer version provided by Debian sid (unstable/development distribution).
Installing newer packages than those available in the base repository may lead to incompatibility with other software expecting specific package versions.
if you're cool with that (I have no idea if it will lead to any incompatibility for you, and definitely do not know how to troubleshoot nor fix any issue this may cause for you... so due dilligence on your part is necessary!)

sudo curl -L 'http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/n/nasm/nasm_2.13.03-1_amd64.deb' -o /var/cache/apt/archives/nasm_2.13.03-1_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/nasm_2.13.03-1_amd64.deb
then GUI dependencies:

sudo apt-get install intltool libappindicator-dev libdbus-glib-1-dev libglib2.0-dev libgstreamer1.0-dev libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-dev libgtk-3-dev libgudev-1.0-dev libnotify-dev libwebkitgtk-3.0-dev
if you have any fails during these installs then let's get that sorted before attempting anything else below.

-------

Now we are on the same page (environment ready, all dependencies installed) for this compile, build and install. I will copy terminal outputs to show my 'work', and will use <snip> to cut out huge blocks of text in order to keep this post manageable in length while keeping the relevant info preserved.

I will also Not attempt to include HandBrake’s experimental support for Intel Quick Sync Video
(which: on Linux requires the Intel Media SDK)

Reference for the below: https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.2.0/deve ... linux.html

git clone https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake.git && cd HandBrake
(when you paste this command in terminal you may see it automagically begin with no prompt, as it did here- no worries)

when it is done you should see: user@system:~/HandBrake$ where user is your username and system is your system name as it always appears in terminal prompt.

next run this, using select all and paste again (even though it is two separate lines. Terminal will return value for first line the leave next comand ready for you to hit enter, so do so and hit enter that second time to run 2nd half of command.

git tag --list | grep ^1\.2\.
git checkout refs/tags/$(git tag -l | grep -E '^1\.2\.[0-9]+$' | tail -n 1)
it will look like this:
user@system:~/HandBrake$ git tag --list | grep ^1\.2\.
user@system:~/HandBrake$ git checkout refs/tags/$(git tag -l | grep -E '^1\.2\.[0-9]+$' | tail -n 1)
Note: checking out 'refs/tags/1.2.0'.
You are in 'detached HEAD' state. You can look around, make experimental
changes and commit them, and you can discard any commits you make in this
state without impacting any branches by performing another checkout.
If you want to create a new branch to retain commits you create, you may
do so (now or later) by using -b with the checkout command again. Example:
git checkout -b <new-branch-name>
HEAD is now at 23bc08b55 WinGui: Where the system language isn't English, allow English language to be used in GUI.
user@system:~/HandBrake$
next run:

./configure --launch-jobs=$(nproc) --launch
which results in a lot of output to terminal, including some significant time pauses, do not do anything in that terminal window until user@system:~/HandBrake$ prompt returns. You may also see quite a spike in CPU use, I have an intel celeron 2Ghz quad core, and all 4 show 100% constant in syspeek indicator... (iow, it may be good idea to close unneeded apps, like browser and such, and a good time to make another cup of coffee;)

end result/desired output:
time end: Sun Dec 30 13:19:29 2018
duration: 49 minutes, 51 seconds (2991.02s)
result: SUCCESS
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Build is finished!
You may now cd into ./build and examine the output.
user@system:~/HandBrake$
when prompt returns in terminal, you have built the package. Here is where I change the instruction, from:
When complete, you will find HandBrakeCLI in the build directory. If the graphical interface is enabled, you will also find ghb in the build/gtk/src directory.
Install HandBrake (optional). When installing the graphical interface, icon and desktop files for the Applications menu will be also installed.
sudo make --directory=build install
From that output I've decided to try without the --directory=build flag for make since I do not see such a flag in checkinstall --help and it failed the first time I ran checkinstall so I changed directory to build and run checkinstall from there, which created other oddities to consider (package name defaulted to "build" lol... here's what I did:

cd build as the tip from terminal results shows and, In other words, this is where I change make install to checkinstall.

from this prompt: user@system:~/HandBrake/build$

run this command:

sudo checkinstall
(with fingers crossed:D)

for this initial part just stick to defaults of prompted responses. below is what it looks like, remember I used <snip> to remove text that did not seem important and have broken the quoted stuff down to show my response to prompts and enclosed in in-line code blocks.
user@system:~/HandBrake/build$ sudo checkinstall
[sudo] password for user:
<snip>
The package documentation directory ./doc-pak does not exist.
Should I create a default set of package docs? [y]:
y then {Enter}
Preparing package documentation...OK
Please write a description for the package.
End your description with an empty line or EOF.
>>
handbrake then {Enter}
>> {Enter} (again)
**** Debian package creation selected ***
*** Warning: The package name "HandBrake" contains upper case
*** Warning: letters. dpkg might not like that so I changed
*** Warning: them to lower case.
This package will be built according to these values:
0 - Maintainer: [ root@system ]
1 - Summary: [ handbrake ]
2 - Name: [ build ]
3 - Version: [ 20181230 ]
4 - Release: [ 1 ]
5 - License: [ GPL ]
6 - Group: [ checkinstall ]
7 - Architecture: [ amd64 ]
8 - Source location: [ build ]
9 - Alternate source location: [ ]
10 - Requires: [ ]
11 - Provides: [ build ]
12 - Conflicts: [ ]
13 - Replaces: [ ]
I do not (normally) want to change anything, however since we changed into build directory the package name will reflect that and we want handbrake, so...
press 2, then hit {Enter}, then at prompt: "Enter new name:" type handbrake and hit {Enter}
I also think line 11 is off, since we are build directory now, not sure- but I changed it to handbrake anyway:
press 11 then hit {Enter}, then at prompt "Enter the provided features:" again type handbrake and hit {Enter}

now it looks like this:
0 - Maintainer: [ root@system ]
1 - Summary: [ handbrake ]
2 - Name: [ handbrake ]
3 - Version: [ 20181230 ]
4 - Release: [ 1 ]
5 - License: [ GPL ]
6 - Group: [ checkinstall ]
7 - Architecture: [ amd64 ]
8 - Source location: [ build ]
9 - Alternate source location: [ ]
10 - Requires: [ ]
11 - Provides: [ handbrake ]
12 - Conflicts: [ ]
13 - Replaces: [ ]
{Enter}
Installing with make install...
<snip>
======================== Installation successful ==========================
Copying files to the temporary directory...OK
Stripping ELF binaries and libraries...OK
Compressing man pages...OK
Building file list...OK
Building Debian package...OK
Installing Debian package...OK
:mrgreen:
Erasing temporary files...OK
Deleting temp dir...OK
Done. The new package has been installed and saved to
/home/user/HandBrake/build/handbrake_20181230-1_amd64.deb another big goofy :mrgreen: grin
You can remove it from your system anytime using:
dpkg -r handbrake
* enjoy your new custom built latest release of handbrake!
webstuff

Post by webstuff »

@redlined Thanks!

How did you get pass these two steps below when "http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/ ... _amd64.deb" does not exist

sudo curl -L 'http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/ ... _amd64.deb' -o /var/cache/apt/archives/nasm_2.13.03-1_amd64.deb

After update, LMDE3 has installed version of nasm but is a bit older like nasm_2.13.01
then there's yasm, which is a complete rewrite of nasm and is installed.
redlined

Post by redlined »

webstuff wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:11 pm @redlined Thanks!

How did you get pass these two steps below when "http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/ ... _amd64.deb" does not exist

sudo curl -L 'http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/ ... _amd64.deb' -o /var/cache/apt/archives/nasm_2.13.03-1_amd64.deb

After update, LMDE3 has installed version of nasm but is a bit older like nasm_2.13.01
then there's yasm, which is a complete rewrite of nasm and is installed.
hi webstuff!

That is the part that I get to skip, that unfortunately you do not due to recommendation by dev for how to compile for Debian notes :cry:

best option, I believe, is manually go into "ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/n/nasm/" and find the version best suited for the task at hand, e.g. lo0ok for file name specifics closest to what dev mentions then get back to terminal so it is all done proper and manual edit the line to match the full address you determined was the file you need.

I see that version has been removed, probably due to critical vuln :?:
this is what I find to be closest next higher version in numbering:

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/ ... _amd64.deb

so.... This is what I THINK it would look like to fix that commnd:

sudo curl -L 'http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/n/nasm/nasm_2.14-1_amd64.deb' -o /var/cache/apt/archives/nasm_2.14-1_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/nasm_2.14-1_amd64.deb
if this does it for you it may be worth your while to post note/issue to dev mentioning the file recommended is no longer available and new file name is: nasm_2.14-1_amd64.deb and they might even update their instructions. Hope this helps!

edit to add: please be aware, that command is specific for you, I did not have to do that since I am on LM19.1 (Ubuntu based). You really are on your own in that venture regarding the warning by dev about installing nasm! or yasm, or whatever it was that made it different for Debian versus Ubuntu (I have memory issues, please verify everything is accurate before trusting)

ps.... if it does indeed work then let me know and i'll edit my previous reply to reflect the new file name in that command for Debian building, thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”