Power Management not working

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Power Management not working

Post by smurphos »

The bug is being looked at. It just appears its not straightforward to fix - https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon/pull/8493
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

smurphos wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:36 pm The bug is being looked at. It just appears its not straightforward to fix - https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon/pull/8493
I like the idea of LMDE with the newest version of Cinnamon, but I wonder if that is going to be an issue building against the older Debian base? Debian Stable is nearly unbreakable with its set of applications, and though it can be tweaked, it can also be tweaked too hard. Backports are a safer, but bend Debian Stable too much and it breaks, bend it a lot and you get FrankenDebian.
kxr

Post by kxr »

The problem of non-starting power settings was still there after a fresh LMDE 3 install & update today on a Fujitsu Lifebook.

For a fix I had to manually install these 3:

https://packages.debian.org/en/buster/libupower-glib3
https://packages.debian.org/en/buster/g ... erglib-1.0
https://packages.debian.org/en/buster/upower

(download the .dep's manually and run

Code: Select all

gdebi <name>.deb ...
)

.. and I had also to change line 352 in /usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/modules/cs_power.py from

time = device[UP_SECONDS]
to

time = 0 ##device[UP_SECONDS]
because of the bug trace below.
UP_SECONDS==8 ( 9th element ); The 'device' list provided by self.csd_power_proxy.GetDevices() provided only 8 elements during a pdb debug session - though cinnamon-settings-daemon 4.0.3 seems up to date.
This time value, if it would be non-zero, would just tell about estimated time remaining for full charge or discharge - to be shown as information in the battery tab of the power settings panel.

The power management settings (and function) now work as expected.

Just one strange issue remains with the Fujitsu Lifebook laptop display brightness FN keys and some extra laptop keys: FN+brighter & darker both just work in one direction (either towards max brightness oder min brightness - no matter which key). At the extreme brightness level the power settings panel tab "Brightness' needs to be used for any further change of display brightness , and then both keys work in the other direction ... So effectively only the Power settings panel can be used to control display brightness seriously.
The extra Fujitsu laptop keys for Locking / Mobility / EnergySaving / Info do the same as the 2 brightness keys!?
Just the wireless enabling key works as expected.
The 3 FN + speaker volume keys, FN + touch enabling, FN + display switch - which are obviously handled by csd-media-keys daemon too - yet work ok.
Any idea how to get all those keys to work correctly?

True
Using pam module (python3-pampy)
Loading Power module
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/cinnamon-settings.py", line 619, in <module>
    window = MainWindow()
  File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/cinnamon-settings.py", line 329, in __init__
    self.go_to_sidepage(cat, path, user_action=False)
  File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/cinnamon-settings.py", line 133, in go_to_sidepage
    sidePage.build()
  File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/bin/SettingsWidgets.py", line 123, in build
    self.module.on_module_selected()
  File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/modules/cs_power.py", line 186, in on_module_selected
    self.build_battery_page()
  File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/modules/cs_power.py", line 291, in build_battery_page
    primary_settings.add_row(self.set_device_battery_primary(device))
  File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/modules/cs_power.py", line 352, in set_device_battery_primary
    time = device[UP_SECONDS]
IndexError: tuple index out of range

~$ apt show cinnamon-settings-daemon
Package: cinnamon-settings-daemon
Version: 4.0.3+cindy
Priority: optional
Section: x11
Maintainer: Linux Mint <root@linuxmint.com>
Installed-Size: 2.523 kB
pioruns
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pioruns »

Hi guys, it's been another month, no fix in sight. Is anyone looking into this?
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (16) @ 3.8GHz | 64GB ECC DDR4 RAM @ 3600 MT/s | PowerColor Radeon 6800 XT
Crucial P2 500GB PCIe M.2 2280 SSD NVMe | 2x Crucial MX500 1TB 3D NAND SATA @ RAID1 | OS: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid x86_64
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

pioruns wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:30 pm Hi guys, it's been another month, no fix in sight. Is anyone looking into this?
Suggestions: Dump Cinnamon desktop and install MATE. Or, install vanilla Debian with Cinnamon desktop.
I've just about given up on LMDE at this point. Clearly it's the redheaded stepchild of Linux Mint. I will no longer recommend it. This is too big of an issue to be broken this long.
arcturian

Post by arcturian »

Hello,
took me some time to finally sign up for an account. Using Linux Mint and LMDE for quite some time. Despite the little bugs here and there (which are usually getting fixed real fast) it runs flawlessly for me.

One suggestion I might add If you still want to use LMDE 3.
If you do a clean install without installing the updates straight away the power management settings open as they should, so you could configure this first before continue updating. The settings are saved even if you can't access the power management after the updating process anymore.

thank you for a great and fast OS.
appye
Level 2
Level 2

Post by appye »

KBD47 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:06 pm
pioruns wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:30 pm Hi guys, it's been another month, no fix in sight. Is anyone looking into this?
Suggestions: Dump Cinnamon desktop and install MATE. Or, install vanilla Debian with Cinnamon desktop.
I've just about given up on LMDE at this point. Clearly it's the redheaded stepchild of Linux Mint. I will no longer recommend it. This is too big of an issue to be broken this long.
Myself, I will be going with Buster once it goes stable. It is Cinnamon 3.8 but ... meh. Everything works fine for me on test platforms. Well, everything but some minor MTP errors anyway. At least it will remain consistent so long as I keep people on buster.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

appye wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:23 am

Myself, I will be going with Buster once it goes stable. It is Cinnamon 3.8 but ... meh. Everything works fine for me on test platforms. Well, everything but some minor MTP errors anyway. At least it will remain consistent so long as I keep people on buster.
Just did a fresh install of Buster last night and it is working great. Been that way for more than a month. A few weeks and new Stable will officially release. I recommend the non-free ISO's, been using those for awhile and it's nice to have basic codecs and firmware working out of the box.
thefish
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thefish »

I just installed an update on LMDE 3 and this issue has been fixed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

<mod> toktok's question powermanagement issues on LM 20.1 Cinnamon can be found here: viewtopic.php?p=2019285#p2019285 </mod>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Software & Applications”