Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
louphil
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE3 - Multimedia codecs

Post by louphil » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:24 am

Hi all

I just install the new LMDE3, after using several years with great satisfactions, Mint 10, 13, then LMDE1 ...

But it seems I'm unable to install the "mint-meta-codecs" package . It seems to be unavailable in the depositaries ...

I tried to download the archives manually . But it only contains just one file called "Install.sh" ... I tried to run it in a terminal without any success ...

Is there an issue to this ?
Last edited by xenopeek on Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved to LMDE 3 forum

Tom McLean
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE3 - Multimedia codecs

Post by Tom McLean » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:31 pm

I also have this problem. I just finished installing LMDE 3. While finishing off the installation I asked for the Mega- codecs, and received the notice: "unable to install. fractured package not removed. I do not understand this one. I re-partitioned the SSD hard drive during install, and that should have cleaned all of the old stuff. Also DVD Netflix will not play. Except for these two issues all went well and works great. LMDE seems to be the best of the Mint set. I have been a Linux and mint user for about 5 years. All the same hardware as before. LMDE Is the only OS on my box. I use vlc for video and have this issue with Netflix DVD video about three years ago.

The LMDE 3 install was from a OSdisk DVD. By the way, these seem to be excellent. No Issues during the installation.

Tom
on the Wet
Coast - US

Tom McLean
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE3 - Multimedia codecs

Post by Tom McLean » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:03 pm

This issue is now solved for me.

I am an analog controls engineer and have no idea how or why some of this stuff works.
This is what I did and what happened:

After making my last post I turned the computer off, fed the cats, pour a drink, came back, fired up the box and looked up Multimedia codecs in the software manager. I clicked the install button and every thing worked. (?) I have no idea why. I had done the very same thing yesterday and the day before and received the same error message, "fractured packages -- ". Feeling that I was on a winning streak I retrieved the Netflix DVD from the outgoing mail. The movie came up as soon as the player draw closed. The issue with the Netflix was the missing codec. I have no idea why the Multimedia codec down load decided to work. There have not been any changes to the computer including new software up dates during the past day.

Good luck everyone!

Return to “Software & Applications”