Two problems after LMDE3 installation

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
Zweitaktmotor
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:12 pm

Two problems after LMDE3 installation

Post by Zweitaktmotor » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:16 pm

Hi,

For the past few years, I had been using LMDE2 32-bit and installed it on numerous computers without any problem.

Since it has now reached the end of its life, I downloaded LMDE3 64-bit and tried to install it on 2 machines.

To do so, I used brand-new, empty partitions, i.e. no old user profiles were present etc.

After installation, I encountered 2 problems and have been searching high and low for solutions, but without success.

Here is a step-by-step explanation in order to replicate:

1. Wireless Internet

- Click on the network symbol in task bar.
- Enable Wireless, wait for available access points to appear (in my case: both my landline router and mobile tethering)
- Choose an access point, enter password when asked

Result in LMDE2: after about 15 seconds, I used to get "Connection established"
Result in LMDE3: after about 2 minutes of "Connecting...", I get "Activation failed"

I tried to play around with a few network settings such as "Security". (I am pretty sure it used to be WPA, but tried the onther ones as well.) But no luck.



2. LibreOffice Writer Spellcheck

- Open a new Writer document and type something
- Click on Tools then Spelling/Grammar

Result in LMDE2: Spellcheck is carried out in local language (English UK in my case)
Result in LMDE3: Spellcheck reports immediately "complete", and, after clicking OK, it turns out that the field "Text Language" says "[None]"

When I click on the scroll-down field, it gives me all installed languages (i.e. also my frami extension package for German), but I am unable to select them. The field will always jump back to "[None]"

Of course, the document language is set correctly and shows up at the bottom of my screen. The funny thing is that "Check while you type" DOES work, but not the spell check dialogue.

I followed some advice found elsewhere and renamed my LibreOffice profile, so that it will be re-created. But the problem persists.

I also tried
sudo apt-get install hunspell-en-gb and
sudo apt-get install myspell-en-gb
(as advised elsewhere), but it did not help either.

I noticed that LMDE3 comes with version 5.2.7.2 of LibreOffice, while the current version is 6.2.0.3 So I downloaded the flatpack and installed it, but with the same result: spell check is still not working.

***

What worries me that this happened in two different installations and that it is not something I had a problem with before. Something must have changed in LMDE3 that now causes these two problems.

Would you have any ideas how to fix them?

Many thanks.

Dr. Octagon
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:43 pm
Location: Osnabrooklyn

Re: Two problems after LMDE3 installation

Post by Dr. Octagon » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:21 pm

Hello,

to resolve the problem with wlan/wifi in LMDE 3 just execute in terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
Paste this text at the bottom in the "upcoming window":

Code: Select all

[device]
wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no

Save now and everything works fine (maybe restart afterwards).

Cu
Dr. Octagon
A good stumbler doesn't fall...

Zweitaktmotor
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:12 pm

Re: Two problems after LMDE3 installation

Post by Zweitaktmotor » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:55 pm

Many thanks for your quick and helpful reply. Your instructions worked great.

Now I'll just have to figure out the spellcheck...

Post Reply

Return to “Software & Applications”