Firefox dictionnaries download fails

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
louk

Firefox dictionnaries download fails

Post by louk »

Hello guys and girls !

I have just installed LMDE 3 (and the graphical interface is a real success, it's really pleasant to use) and I want to add dictionaries to my Firefox. But for a mysterious reason, it fails. For any language (it has English (US) by default).

Does anyone got this problem ?
Is it a sources.list file problem ? I haven't tried to uninstall/reinstall Firefox, should I ?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lord Boltar

Re: Firefox dictionnaries download fails

Post by Lord Boltar »

louk

Post by louk »

It's the first thing I did when I wanted to add a dictionary (right click on a text, "Languages" -> "Add dictionaries"). And when I try, it says "Download failed. Please check your connection."
Excuse-me if I forgot to say it, I thought I had. But I still feel that you haven't really read my post :(

My connection is working well. I can surf the web, play multiplayer games via internet, update packages etc.
I searched on the internet and into forums but I found nothing relevant.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

louk wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:19 pm It's the first thing I did when I wanted to add a dictionary (right click on a text, "Languages" -> "Add dictionaries").
That's not the same as loading a given URL in your browser.
Excuse-me if I forgot to say it, I thought I had. But I still feel that you haven't really read my post :(
Feelings aren't the same as reality.
I found nothing relevant.
I can download dictionaries (..xpi files) from that URL, e.g.
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/down ... webext.xpi

You haven't actually said that you tried to download dictionaries from that URL and it failed.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
louk

Post by louk »

It is, in this context. Doing what I did is exactly the same : right clicking, going into "Languages" then "Add dictionaries" leads to that URL, showing different dictionaries and language packs (you can try it, it's really simple and it takes 10s).
Thank you Sherlock :P
I know it's not the case, that he has read my post. But a feeling express something. If you ask help and you get for answer "you can go there" with an obvious link and that's all, it really feels that people don't really want to help.
Thank you Sherlock ! :P
On other computers (with Linux), or on Windows, it works for me too.
I got the same when I started LMDE 3 from the USB stick but I ignored it because I thought it wouldn't persist after installation.
You haven't actually said that you tried to download dictionaries from that URL and it failed.
I haven't explicitly said it, but you seem to be intelligent. I wrote my first post too quickly when I was tired (I have to wake up early), I know it wasn't clear.
But if I'm not clear, just say it and ask me more details. Saying what you said doesn't help anyone.

PS : Excuse-me if I don't always use the good words, English is not my mother tongue.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

louk wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:45 am
It is, in this context. Doing what I did is exactly the same : right clicking, going into "Languages" then "Add dictionaries" leads to that URL, showing different dictionaries and language packs (you can try it, it's really simple and it takes 10s).
Thank you Sherlock :P
I know it's not the case, that he has read my post. But a feeling express something. If you ask help and you get for answer "you can go there" with an obvious link and that's all, it really feels that people don't really want to help.
Thank you Sherlock ! :P
On other computers (with Linux), or on Windows, it works for me too.
I got the same when I started LMDE 3 from the USB stick but I ignored it because I thought it wouldn't persist after installation.
I haven't explicitly said it, but you seem to be intelligent. I wrote my first post too quickly when I was tired (I have to wake up early), I know it wasn't clear.
But if I'm not clear, just say it and ask me more details. Saying what you said doesn't help anyone.

PS : Excuse-me if I don't always use the good words, English is not my mother tongue.
Trolling the helper isnt good manners. I would gratefully accept any help, useful or not being offered by somebody who has tried to help.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
louk

Post by louk »

Well. I wasn't trolling. And I haven't found the second was trying to help me (or I misunderstood what he wanted to say).
I explained why I haven't find the first answer really cool and I tried some humour to explain that the second post wasn't helping.

I repeat, English is not my mother tongue, maybe we don't put the same intentions into the same words. When I said into parentheses "you can try it, it's really simple and it takes 10s", I wanted to say that it's really easy to do, it was not troll.

It's the first time I get reactions like that on a forum.
Lord Boltar

Post by Lord Boltar »

louk

Post by louk »

Thank you !
I hope this will work.
louk

Post by louk »

I have looked to my preferences and "Allow Firefox to install and run studies" was already checked.
I can download and use language packs, but not dictionaries, neither add-ons (I tried addblock+ and Youtube downloader).
Could it be linked to LMDE 3 ? Can it be a bad repository configuration ?
Lord Boltar

Post by Lord Boltar »

You can set it up and upgrade Thunderbird and Firefox with these commands:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-security/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade
and see if this fixes your problem
louk

Post by louk »

Thank you for your answer.

The question I posted on Firefox got answers quickly and I forgot to come back here. Here is the link :
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1260290

Your solution would certainly work, because the solution given on Mozilla support is the same really simple idea : updating Firefox (I felt a little bit stupid not to have thought about it).
The fact is that I have taken LMDE to avoid Ubuntu and therefore, I'm not comfortable to add an Ubuntu PPA repository.
By the way, I tried to update Firefox with Synaptic, but the link he was trying to use is wrong : http://mint.remi.lu/pool/upstream/f/fir ... _amd64.deb.
It's not the first time it happened to me on LMDE (2 and 3) and when it happens, I just take the link, remove the deb package name from it and I copy-paste into a navigator (here : http://mint.remi.lu/pool/upstream/f/firefox). Then, I manually find the package Synaptic wanted to download.

But maybe this is not the best way. Could you tell me if there are better solutions ?

Return to “Software & Applications”