Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
fmcart
Level 1
Level 1

Removed software but it still ran - SOLVED

Post by fmcart » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:39 pm

I just installed LMDE Cindy and I decided to add, use, and delete something just to get the hang of it. So I fired up the Software Manager and installed Steam, which was easy. Them I started Steam, installed a free game and played it briefly to insure that it worked. Everything was OK. Then I closed the game and shut down Steam. So far so good.

Then I uninstalled Steam by selecting Remove on the Software Manager, It appeared to complete successfully even though I hadn't removed the game. Removing the game was the final step, which also appeared to finish.

However, there was a Steam icon left in the tray, and when I opened it Steam reappeared and I was able to start a new game.

I know the difference between source code and a compiled binary, and I know there could have been code left in memory, which could account for what happened. But I wasn't expecting something like this in a modern operating system. When a program is running isn't it a function of either the OS or the installer to shut it down first, or make the user shut it down, before trying to uninstall it? Also, what should I do in the future to prevent such a thing from happening?
Last edited by fmcart on Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Removed software but it still ran

Post by Pierre » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:06 pm

that shouldn't happen - - if it's gone, then it should be gone.

so, try using Package Manager aka synaptic to 'completely remove that Steam program.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

fmcart
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fmcart » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:51 pm

Thanks, I'll do that in the future.

fmcart
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fmcart » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:32 pm

Pierre wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:06 pm
that shouldn't happen - - if it's gone, then it should be gone.

so, try using Package Manager aka synaptic to 'completely remove that Steam program.
I thought I had this fixed, but here's what happened.

I reinstalled Steam with Software Manager (Synaptic didn't list Steam so i had to used SM). Then I uninstalled it using Synaptic, choosing to completely remove all settings (I'm not sure of the wording, but it was the most complete selection). The uninstall completed successfully. At least, that's what Synaptic told me.

But down in the tray sat a Steam icon. Using it I could open Steam. And the game I had played was still there (it's called Wakfu if that means anything). And I could play the game!

Steam is not listed anywhere on my list of programs, but that means little. I looked around for any sign of a program but it could be called anything. There's no sign of a Steam binary in /home/myid/sbin but it could be called something else. Besides it's supposed to be completely removed.

Like you said, if it's gone, then it should be gone. This clearly isn't going away without a fight.

Update: I was logged into Steam when I did both deletes (SM and Synaptic). That's probably why the Steam icon was left in my tray. When I logged out the icon disappeared immediately. It may be a separate application unrelated to Steam that gets installed beside it, but that's just a guess. It still should have uninstalled with Steam.

I'm not having a good feeling about the possible security implications.

Update: Found this hidden directory ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/appmanifest_218080.acf. The 215080.acf is a Wakfu file, probably a binary. There's lots of other stuff but I think this is keeping the installation from being deleted. I'm going to wipe out the entire directory (is that the right word, or is it folder?) Anyways the uninstallers I used should have dealt with this.

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:13 pm

Yes - - that's true - - some Installers Don't Remove Everything.
:shock:

in which case, you should be able to Remove Everything via Package Manager.
- - with the 'completely remove' option - -- which has worked for me, in the past with this scenario.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:38 pm

This is all working as intended. Uninstalling a program removes the associated system files from disk, nothing else, and it doesn't kill running processes.

The Steam package itself contains only a launcher/downloader that downloads and installs the Steam client proper into your user directory. Removing the Steam package only removed that launcher, but the Steam client and your Steam library are user-specific data that remained behind. This works the same for all other software as well. For example, if you remove Thunderbird you remove only the binaries, your entire email configuration and email database remain behind and if you install Thunderbird again you can continue right where you left off.

tl;dr: user-specific data never gets removed by uninstalling
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Return to “Software & Applications”