How can I remove Mate without breaking the system?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Ottavio
Level 1
Level 1

How can I remove Mate without breaking the system?

Post by Ottavio » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:16 am

Hi,

soon after installing LMDE 3, I followed one of the tutorials and I typed the following:

Code: Select all

apt-get install mate-desktop-environment
then:

apt-get install atril desktop-base engrampa eom ffmpegthumbnailer fonts-droid-fallback galculator gnome-user-guide libaacs0 libcanberra-gtk3-module libgphoto2-l10n libsasl2-modules mate-applets mate-icon-theme-faenza mate-media mate-notification-daemon mate-power-manager mate-screensaver mate-system-monitor mate-user-guide mate-utils menu murrine-themes pluma python-cryptography python-idna python-ipaddress python-openssl va-driver-all
Now I want to get rid of Mate and all that comes with it without actually breaking the system.

I simulated purging the above mentioned applications with:

apt-get -s purge mate-desktop-environment

apt-get -s purge atril desktop-base engrampa eom ffmpegthumbnailer fonts-droid-fallback galculator gnome-user-guide libaacs0 libcanberra-gtk3-module libgphoto2-l10n libsasl2-modules mate-applets mate-icon-theme-faenza mate-media mate-notification-daemon mate-power-manager mate-screensaver mate-system-monitor mate-user-guide mate-utils menu murrine-themes pluma python-cryptography python-idna python-ipaddress python-openssl va-driver-all

and it seems to be ok, but I'd like your opinion before doing something so drastic.

Thanks

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How can I remove Mate without breaking the system?

Post by gm10 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:50 am

Make sure you switched your session to another desktop environment first, but once you did that, sure, no risk getting rid of MATE and its tools again.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Return to “Software & Applications”