Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Penguin Power
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] LMDE 3: Dissenter browser install

Post by Penguin Power »

I have been trying to install Dissenter browser on LMDE 3 but have thus far been unsuccessful even after following their Debian installation instructions. Note that I do not want to install the Snap version, as this is maintained by Canonical which I have moved away from all their products, hence why I am using LMDE 3.

Debian installation instructions from the Dissenter website:

https://dissenter.com/download
https://apps.gab.com/application/5d3f93 ... 6bd98c3525

'Instructions

Optimally, let your browser open the deb file with the software installer, and click install. Otherwise, download the package file and install it by running sudo dpkg -i dissenter-browser-v0.70.122-amd64.deb'

The first thing I noticed here is that the file name of Dissenter package download is different to the terminal command package name.
eg. 'dissenter-browser_0.70.122_amd64.deb' vs 'dissenter-browser-v0.70.122-amd64.deb'
Dissenter thus won't install until the terminal command matches the downloaded package name which I corrected. I'm not sure if this could be causing some other installation conflict though?

I have tired both installation methods using the GDebi included software installer in LMDE 3 and terminal: sudo dpkg; however none of these work. When I install using GDebi installer it installs and then says 'Same version is already installed'. Under both installation methods the Dissenter icon appears on the 'Internet' menu; however after I click on it it just shows the little spinning circle loading icon, which dissapears after 1 minute, but the Dissenter browser never starts.

Can someone please point me in the right direction who has had any success installing Dissenter in LMDE 3?
Last edited by Penguin Power on Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: LMDE 3: Dissenter browser install

Post by xenopeek »

Try starting the program from the terminal. That is likely to provide some error message when it doesn't finish starting after one minute.

You can try to guess the command to start the program; type "dissenter" and press Tab key to see if it autocompletes the name to something like dissenter-browser or dissenter-stable. Otherwise you can also open your menu editor, then look at the details of the dissenter launcher in the menu and copy the command from there to run on the terminal.
Penguin Power
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE 3: Dissenter browser install

Post by Penguin Power »

xenopeek wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:24 pm
Try starting the program from the terminal. That is likely to provide some error message when it doesn't finish starting after one minute.

You can try to guess the command to start the program; type "dissenter" and press Tab key to see if it autocompletes the name to something like dissenter-browser or dissenter-stable. Otherwise you can also open your menu editor, then look at the details of the dissenter launcher in the menu and copy the command from there to run on the terminal.
I ran it from the terminal as 'dissenter-browser' and this is what appears:
[4593:4593:0208/224903.223521:FATAL:zygote_host_impl_linux.cc(116)] No usable sandbox! You probably need to enable user namespaces in your kernel. See https://brave-browser.readthedocs.io/en/latest/installing-brave.html#linux for more information.
/usr/bin/dissenter-browser: line 48: 4593 Trace/breakpoint trap "$HERE/dissenter" "$@"

Running as sudo:
[4651:4651:0208/225136.013410:ERROR:zygote_host_impl_linux.cc(89)] Running as root without --no-sandbox is not supported. See https://crbug.com/638180.

Next I ran the command as suggested:
$ /usr/bin/dissenter-browser-stable %U

Which produced:
[4638:4638:0208/225122.636406:FATAL:zygote_host_impl_linux.cc(116)] No usable sandbox! You probably need to enable user namespaces in your kernel. See https://brave-browser.readthedocs.io/en/latest/installing-brave.html#linux for more information.
/usr/bin/dissenter-browser-stable: line 48: 4638 Trace/breakpoint trap "$HERE/dissenter" "$@"

I had a look at the Brave link in the error output but it doesn't mention anything about 'enabling user namespaces in your kernel.' It simply takes you to the Brave terminal installation instruction page: https://brave-browser.readthedocs.io/en ... html#linux
Any idea how to enable the user namespaces in the kernel - if that is what I should do?

I also noted that the error output mentioned 'No usable sandbox!' Could this have something to do with Firejail being installed? I had a look at my running Firejail processes but Dissenter nor Brave browsers are mentioned.

firejail --list
1491:user1::/usr/bin/firejail /usr/bin/bleachbit
2773:user1::/usr/bin/firejail /usr/bin/xed

It looks like something similar was mentioned in another thread but I still haven't got my head around all of this: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=303423&p=1739129&h ... r#p1739129
Penguin Power
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Re: LMDE 3: Dissenter browser install

Post by Penguin Power »

This has now been solved. Dissenter has updated their browser to v1.5.114 and it now works natively from APT without using Snap (Canonical) :D You can download the updated .deb file from Dissenter's website. To install, open with GDebi package installer (right click on .deb file and select) to update Dissenter. This should now work when you click on the Dissenter icon.

Additionally, if you are still using the older Dissenter browser (v0.70.122) that throws up the 'No usable sandbox!' error message when trying to load from the terminal, it is possible to disable the inbuilt Chrome sandbox (Dissenter is a fork of Chrome and Brave) and enable FireJail's sandbox instead to lock down the browser using the following command:

Code: Select all

$ firejail dissenter-browser --no-sandbox 
If you use Brave browser, the Dissenter extension can still be installed using the 'Load Unpacked' button under Extensions section.

By using Dissenter browser or extension you are doing your part to keep free speech free from the big tech Commies!

Return to “Software & Applications”