Digikam on LMDE4 - it does install, but it doesn't start...

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
airbus3xx
Level 1
Level 1

Digikam on LMDE4 - it does install, but it doesn't start...

Post by airbus3xx »

Hi everyone,
on LMDE4 - I tried to install Digikam, which seemed to work fine.

When I click on "start", nothing happens...

Any ideas / thoughts how I can run Digikam? Thanks a lot!!
-----------
When I type "digikam" in the terminal, this is what I get:

Code: Select all

digikam
qt5ct: using qt5ct plugin

(digikam:2641): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 21:52:14.873: cannot register existing type 'GtkWidget'

(digikam:2641): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 21:52:14.873: g_type_add_interface_static: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed

(digikam:2641): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 21:52:14.873: cannot register existing type 'GtkBuildable'

(digikam:2641): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 21:52:14.873: g_type_interface_add_prerequisite: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_INTERFACE (interface_type)' failed

(digikam:2641): GLib-CRITICAL **: 21:52:14.873: g_once_init_leave: assertion 'result != 0' failed

(digikam:2641): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 21:52:14.873: g_type_add_interface_static: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed

(digikam:2641): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 21:52:14.873: g_type_register_static: assertion 'parent_type > 0' failed

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PericoCid

Re: Digikam on LMDE4 - it does install, but it doesn't start...

Post by PericoCid »

Hi, I've got the same issue.
Try to run the program from terminal with root privileges and please, let me know if the program starts up. That's my case.
sganarel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sganarel »

Hi,
I have the same problem, I need to start the app with sudo.
Does someone can help us for a fix to launch Digikam without root privilege ?
mc0e

Post by mc0e »

Same problem here.

No solution yet, but this might be relevant:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/562 ... g-critical
Something—possibly a plugin somewhere in either Qt or QtCreator—is trying to unload GTK and re-load it, which is explicitly unsupported. – ebassi May 22 '19 at 22:43
mc0e

Post by mc0e »

Running with root seems to work better for me. I haven't used it significantly, but it starts up OK.

Running with root privileges means that the digikam configuration is searched for in /root rather than your home directory. I'm guessing there's something about older digikam configurations (or some of them) which is not compatible with the current digikam configuration.
mc0e

Post by mc0e »

I still don't have a solution, though it's a while since I've looked at this.

I have confirmed that I can set up a new account (i.e. with no existing digikam config or data) and digikam then runs OK. So it's not that root privileges are required, but rather that the old configuration is somehow broken.
mc0e

Post by mc0e »

Replacing the contents of the `~/.config/digicamrc` file with a freshly generated one from a new user account results in digikam starting up OK. I'll start digging into individual settings.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

airbus3xx wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:53 pm Any ideas / thoughts how I can run Digikam? Thanks a lot!!
Try the AppImage. Download the file, make it executable, and run. You can download it from the digiKam website.
https://www.digikam.org/download/
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

Don't use appimage.
Install it via the standard [secure] apt procedure.
I did.
mslembro

Post by mslembro »

Hi all, I am just starting to use Linux Mint and ran into the same problem. I was able to run my Qt program with sudo, but not without, and the hint towards the ~/.config folder causing the issue helped me to identify the problem. Here you find a two-step solution:

Step 1: Locate the following file:

~/.config/qt5ct/qt5ct.conf
Step 2: Set the style to gtk3 on line 5 (was gtk2)

style=gtk3
I hope it helps others with similar problems!

Return to “Software & Applications”