[SOLVED] Suggestions for VLC replacement? (mainly for audio)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Fuzzy
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Suggestions for VLC replacement? (mainly for audio)

Post by Fuzzy »

So...I've used VLC since what seems like the beginning of time. I loved it. However, it seems to have gotten more buggy to me over the last year or two, and I'm really happy with Celluloid (which came pre-installed) on LMDE4 for video. VLC seems like a big package to install just for audio. Plus, I'm not impressed with Rhythmbox (which came pre-installed on LMDE4) for audio.

I'm looking for something with a little less overhead than VLC/Rhythmbox, but which will allow me to forego "library" - type of imports. I prefer to simply use playlists. My folders/files are already in the order I prefer them.

I do like the randomize/shuffle feature of VLC, and I do like to be able to select a large number of files/folders via nemo and "right-click" "open with" to add all selected files/folder to a playlist. I also like VLC's ability to (via plugins) play MIDI files. None of these are "must have" for me...but if I could find another package with these features, I'd be pretty happy.

I've spent most of the day looking through audio player packages, but many don't have a lot of documentation pertaining to the features I'm looking for - most focus on libraries/tagging. As a result - I'm still trying to figure out which packages would best suit my preferences.

I thought I'd post here and see if anyone has specific suggestions I could look into further.

Thanks,
Fuzzy
Last edited by Fuzzy on Fri May 08, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nakednorman
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Suggestions for VLC replacement? (mainly for audio)

Post by nakednorman »

Celluloid covers my modest audio needs as well as video - have you checked out the 'hamburger' (3 horizontal lines) in top right corner? It offers 'Playlist' etc.
Also if I select various tracks in Nemo, right click & select 'Open with Celluloid' it does exactly that. Must admit that I can't find 'shuffle' but maybe there's a plugin for that.

superlinuxero
Level 1
Level 1

Post by superlinuxero »

For a simple audio player I'd go with audacious. However, if you need a complete collection manager with the best tagging features, lyrics download, etc, IMHO the best application you can use (I've been using it for almost a decade now) is Guayadeque. It's the best collection manager by far, and it's fast. My music collection holds around 30.000 files and it works as it was 100. Try and throw 30.000 mp3 files to RB and you'll see the diference. It has the best online tagging engine you'll find, and you can also download covers, lyrics. You can create collections, conversion scripts. It even supports online-radio, though I can't comment very much on that. Its home page is guayadeque.org .

Now the not-too good part: it isn't pretty, to get the most out of it there's a learning curve, since it is very complete and you need to understand how thing are best done. But the worst part if that it is not available on Debian repos anymore, so you have to compile it, or use Ubuntu-based Mint and install from a PPA. A piece of advise: don't try to use the Ubuntu-designed PPA versions in LMDE4/Buster, they don't work. However, the not-to-bad thing is that it is quite easy to compile and install. If you want to give it a try, here's what you need to do in order to compile it in LMDE4/Buster:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install build-essential git libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev libtag-extras-dev libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-dev libgstreamer1.0-dev libwxsqlite3-3.0-dev libwxbase3.0-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev libdbus-glib-1-dev cmake

mkdir /tmp/guayadeque && cd /tmp/guayadeque

git clone https://github.com/anonbeat/guayadeque.git

./build

sudo make install
Cheers,

Ignacio

Fuzzy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fuzzy »

Thanks to both of you for the thoughtful responses.

I might try audacious in a bit...but thanks to nakednorman's post - I did a little further digging into celluloid and found that it DOES have a shuffle feature built-in. To access it, you have to toggle the playlist - then right-click the playlist, an option will appear to "shuffle". I'll keep playing around with it to see if I can manage the playlists, etc. easily and such.

If I can't get it tweaked "just right" - then I'll probably give audacious a try.

Thanks again!
(Marking as SOLVED, but still open to other suggestions)

tosim
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED] Suggestions for VLC replacement? (mainly for audio)

Post by tosim »

You might want to checkout "Sayonara"

Shankaraya
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Suggestions for VLC replacement? (mainly for audio)

Post by Shankaraya »

If you have a big collection, clementine does the job. There is a limited version, named strawberry as well.
Shankaraya: LMDE4 Cinnamon, kernel 4.19.0-9-amd64
Thinkpad T410, i5 cpu with integrated graphics controller (intel).

Return to “Software & Applications”