Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
bewleygary
Level 1
Level 1

Audacity Input

Post by bewleygary »

I just installed LMDE4 and then installed Audacity sound recording editor. The input slider for mic or line does not work. It did not work on LMDE3 either. Audacity works on Widows Vista installed on the same Dell Studio computer. The LMDE versions were installed on a usb drive. Anyone have a solution for this?
MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Audacity Input

Post by MrEen »

Hi bewleygary,

Let's see a few outputs to see if they point to the cause: aplay -l, pacmd list-cards, and pacmd list-sources.
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

bewleygary wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 1:38 pm
I just installed LMDE4 and then installed Audacity sound recording editor. The input slider for mic or line does not work. It did not work on LMDE3 either. Audacity works on Widows Vista installed on the same Dell Studio computer. The LMDE versions were installed on a usb drive. Anyone have a solution for this?
Try installing and using pavucontrol to control the input/source;
start pavucontrol,
then start audacity and start it recording (even if it's not getting anything),
then in pavucontrol select the input on the Recording tab.

pavucontrol won't show you the recording streams until something is trying to record because pulseaudio; that's why the funny order of starting/running the two programs.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
bewleygary
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bewleygary »

I installed pulse audio control and am able to acquire the line in or mic in signal for audacity. Audacity will record with this work around. I also issued two of the commands suggested in the terminal. I could not find one of the symbols in the other command on my keyboard. I am a novice with regard to terminal usage and really don't have much of an idea of what I was looking at. It would be good to know why the input slider does not work but I am considering the issued solved for my purposes. I don't use Audacity that often and certainly not on a daily basis. Hope to become more literate with the terminal. Thanks for your help.
bewleygary
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Audacity Input

Post by bewleygary »

Issued solved per previous post.

Return to “Software & Applications”