Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
aldomaggi
Level 1
Level 1

Lmde4 - Chromium - Google Meet cannot share screen

Post by aldomaggi »

My wife is a teacher and during these times of coronavirus is teaching via pc.
She has never used very much Pc's, so I'm giving assistance.
In her Pc, a couple of years ago I installed LM 18.3 and she is using it.
Since I'm since long a Debian user, I've decided, a couple of weeks ago, to install on her Pc LMDE4.
To be frank I like it and I agree very much on the choise to by-pass Ubuntu which is already derived from Debian and go directly to the source but ... I think you should take the best from Debian avoiding the far too strict Debian Policy (which was the reason why Ubuntu was born and I remember having given a try to Warty Warthog), all what I wrote is to say that it is not acceptable, particularly because of the new teaching needs, that Chrome shipped with LMDE4 cannot share the screen (I assume for some policy reason) while, e.g., Firefox does (but doesn't have some other extensions needed) and anyway, Chrome on LM 18.3 (which as every Linux user I keep constantly updated) does.
I hope this problem would be solved quickly!
Aldo :-)

aldomaggi
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Lmde4 - Chromium - Google Meet cannot share screen

Post by aldomaggi »

I'm sorry, where I wrote Chrome I actually meant Chromium!!!
Maybe I've made that error because I was thinking to install Google Chrome (which actually I have done) to overcome the problem.

smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

This is probably a Google Meet limitation. Note that Chromium is not listed as a supported browser.

https://support.google.com/meet/answer/7317473?hl=en
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

aldomaggi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aldomaggi »

No, it is not a Google Meet limitation, it is the Debian Chromium package which has got this limitation, in fact I'm now on Debian Bullseye on my Pc and tried to share on Google Meet launched from Debian Chromium and it refuses to do it. I've just now tried also on Ubuntu DDE (Deepin based on 20.4) on my laptop and Google Meet launched from their Chromium can share.
I repeat, I can understand Debian because it has a very strict Policy, but LMDE, in my opinion, should do the same as Ubuntu, i.e. to be a little bit less strict and more usable .... otherwise where is the advantage to install LMDE vs. Debian? Just Themes and colors? :-D

RamBurner
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RamBurner »

Go to Google Chrome download page and get the deb file. Works fine for me on LMDE4

aldomaggi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aldomaggi »

Sure I did! But, as I wrote above, Debian is Debian, I love it and accept they strict rules, though in order to use updated programs I use "testing" since Sarge times, but I think that LMDE should hack Debian to be more user friendly than it just like Ubuntu is.

Return to “Software & Applications”