Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Xreader doesn't display epub on LMDE 4

Post by M_aD »

I have a epub file but Xreader on LMDE 4 only shows the index and doesn't load the pages at all. I tested Xreader on various other distro's from a live usb stick just to make sure and it works flawless, so the epub file is fine and thus not corrupted.

Any idea why it doesn't work properly on LMDE4 or what is causing this issue?

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Xreader doesn't display epub on LMDE 4

Post by xenopeek »

Try opening the file with Xreader from the terminal (in file manager browse to directory where you have the file, right-click empty spot in the directory and choose Open in Terminal, then run command xreader "filename" where you replace filename with the verbatim filename). It may show some errors there maybe.

If that doesn't provide clues I don't think there is much more to say without having the file. If you can legally share the file (as per its license and copyright) I suggest you share it so others can at least confirm the same issue (like test it on LM19.3). As a workaround I suggest you might install Foliate as eBook reader.

If you can share the file, and others confirm the issue, it's probably time to make a bug report about it. See the troubleshooting guide https://linuxmint-troubleshooting-guide ... en/latest/ for more information about where and how to make a good bug report. There's no point in making a bug report if you can't share the file, or any file with the same problem, for the developers to work on.

M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

Hi xenopeek,

Thanks for the reply.

Running it from terminal as suggested results in this error message:

Code: Select all

** (xreader:1909): WARNING **: 16:18:34.641: Error loading data from file:///tmp/xreader-1909/9789045354569-5ec8a7f071a77.epubMNJVL0/OEBPS/5ec8a7f071a770.html: Frame load interrupted
Since i bought this epub/ebook via the website of a bookstore, i am not allowed to share the file due copyright reasons.
As i mentioned before i tested xreader on other distro's via a live usb stick session that ship with the same version of xreader as in LMDE4 which is 2.4.4.. On Fedora 32 Xfce and Cinnamon Xreader works as should.

On Debian 10 buster Xfce, also from a usb live session, i tried Atril which also correctly loads the epub, so i thought i install Atril on LMDE4 but get the same problem of the epub not loading. This makes me guess it's a issue within LMDE 4.

I will try a LM 19.3 live session now to see if the problem exists there too and will report it back.

M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

So i tried Xreader with the same epub file on LM 19.3 Cinnamon and updated Xreader to the latest version (2.4.4) in the live session. The epub file loads correctly.

Return to “Software & Applications”