Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ajgringo619
Level 7
Level 7

[Project Abandoned] Python modules not working

Post by ajgringo619 »

I am fairly new to Python programming, so forgive me in advance if this sounds noobish. After much deliberation, I decided to dump Mint 19.3 XFCE for LMDE4. Whenever I needed modules for my programs, I always used pip to install/update the new modules with the --user switch, specifically to try to avoid what has happened. For whatever reason, the new installation is having a heckuva time trying to find my modules. Some work, like pydf, work great; others, like pip itself, is just a mess (this is the case with almost all of my downloaded modules). I can't even list what pip modules my system thinks I have:

Code: Select all

$ pip
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/summersd/.local/bin/pip", line 5, in <module>
    from pip._internal.cli.main import main
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'pip._internal.cli.main'
This version of pip is in $HOME/.local/bin; the version installed by the system works, but obviously doesn't see any of my other modules. I didn't change my /home partition, so all of the paths should have been the same. One piece of good news: my virtual environment that I created for PyCharm is working. Would it be better to just use the venv for everything I do in python? For some of my smaller scripts, it seems like a waste. But maybe this will end up being a good lesson learned.
Last edited by ajgringo619 on Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mint 19.3 XFCE
kernel 5.4.0-42-generic
Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon R9 290 w/4GB RAM
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti w/2GB RAM (for FAH)
ajgringo619
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Python modules not working

Post by ajgringo619 »

I'll chalk this one up to a learning experience. I had assumed that Debian was more similar to Ubuntu that it turned out; didn't do nearly enough research on this upgrade other than to make a quick system image then go for it. In hindsight, I should have just waited for v20 to come out.
Mint 19.3 XFCE
kernel 5.4.0-42-generic
Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon R9 290 w/4GB RAM
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti w/2GB RAM (for FAH)

Return to “Software & Applications”