Chromium Incredibly Slow to Load Pages on LMDE 4 (Firefox Fine, Internet Connection Fine)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
cb474
Level 3
Level 3

Chromium Incredibly Slow to Load Pages on LMDE 4 (Firefox Fine, Internet Connection Fine)

Post by cb474 »

I did the upgrade to LMDE4 a week ago and every since then Chromium is extremey slow to load web pages. It even is slow to load the Chromium settings page. Seriously, I open the settings page, it is blank, there is a spinning wheel in the tab to indicated it's loading, and it takes a full twenty seconds (I timed it) before the settings page loads. But this is also true for any website.

I have no problems with Firefox and I have speed tested my internet connection, so that is not the issue either.

This problem appeared right after the upgrade to LMDE4. Before that Chromium was fast.

Any thoughts on the problem? Anyone else experiencing this?
LanceM
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Chromium Incredibly Slow to Load Pages on LMDE 4 (Firefox Fine, Internet Connection Fine)

Post by LanceM »

Did you do a clean install of LMDE 4 or an upgrade from 3? I know you said upgrade, but some people mean it as just going up a version.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php
cb474
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Chromium Incredibly Slow to Load Pages on LMDE 4 (Firefox Fine, Internet Connection Fine)

Post by cb474 »

I upgraded from LMDE3. But I didn't have any problems.

I do think my system in general seems a litte more laggy. LibreOffice is slow to load, on the first document I open. But Chromium is just crazy slow.
Jon Spoonamore
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jon Spoonamore »

I've had the same issue plus Chromium crashing.

I've been running LMDE 4 for over a month with no problems on all my PCs. These were fresh installs. No upgrades. Chromium was running just fine until I updated it 2 days ago. Every PC I upgraded Chromium has FUBARed! I had to switch to Chrome to get around the problem. AKA.... Use another browser.

Also... I see 2 new extensions I do not recognize and can't remove in Chromium:
(1) Chromium PDF Viewer and (2) CryptoTokenExtension

>>> UPDATE <<<

I found a Reddit Post talking about this... https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comment ... 61deb10u1/
The Reddit Posts points to this Chromium Bug Page.... https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=964167

Basically.... This is a new bug and is being investigated. Read down the page to Message #29 on the Bug Page. Their suggestion is to re-install the previous version and wait until a newer version becomes available. Links are provided. You will have to do this manually.
LanceM
Level 9
Level 9

Post by LanceM »

Being as you upgraded, you can try this: Backup your bookmarks and note your extensions. Uninstall Chromium. Then open your Home and press CTRL+H to enable hidden. Search for Chromium. Delete all entries. Reinstall Chromium and see if the lag is still there.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php
Jon Spoonamore
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jon Spoonamore »

As of Saturday 11:30pm EST.... A Chromium update is available.

I updated. Seems to run normal. But.... It still crashes.

Looks like I will be back on Chrome permanent now. :(
cb474
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cb474 »

Whatever was wrong with Chromium was fixed for me with the update today.

I had noticed in htop, before the update, that when I opened Chromium, it launched about fifteen or twenty processes, which seemed excessive. The number has definitely reduced after today's update.

I do see both of those new extensions, Chromium PDF Viewer and CryptoTokenExtension. Searching around they sound like they are a normal part of Chromium now.

Anyway, things seem to be back to normal for me. At least with Chromium. LibreOffice is still very slow to launch the first time I open it after startup.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
Jon Spoonamore
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jon Spoonamore »

Well.... It's been several days now. And I hate to report that on 2 laptops and my main workstation that Chromium still crashes. I even did a Deep Clean on all sub-folders in Home to get rid of Chromium after a re-install. I'm scratching my head on this one.

The only thing I have noticed is that on low-memory systems (2GB and 4GB), Chromium crashes within a minute. On my main system, I have 32GB installed. So, it takes Chromium several minutes to crash.

I'll continue to use Chrome and revisit this problem in a couple of months. Maybe the issue(s) will evaporate??????
Jon Spoonamore
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jon Spoonamore »

Update!!!!

A new Chromium Update is out today (7/13/2020). For me.... No More Crashes!!!! Problem fixed!!!! Yeah!!!!! :)

Return to “Software & Applications”