firefoxes, logos and panels (oh my!)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
anonymous

firefoxes, logos and panels (oh my!)

Post by anonymous »

hello all,

i have been searching for days trying to find a solution to this very silly and annoying issue with firefox and the logo that is used by panels. it seems a lot of other people have similar issues, but not quite the same as mine so i finally gave up my search to issue a plea for help on something so silly it's kind of laughable.

i use both the default firefox quantum as well as the latest version of firefox (downloaded tarball). one is logged in for youtube and such, the other is packed with privacy addons and never logged in for general browsing.

the problem is they both have the same logo in the panel (for open applications). i created a launcher for the new firefox with the correct logo which is no problem, but when it's launched the panel will still show the logo for quantum.

how in the name of all that's holy can i stop the panel from using the quantum logo for the new firefox? it's annoying because i need to read the site names instead of just looking at the logo to know which browser is which.

so silly! so frustrating! so aaaaiiiiiiiiiieeeeee...

below is a screenclip of my panel. you can see the launcher for the new firefox, then somehow panel thinks there are 2 quantums open, then for the open apps the left one is quantum and the right one is new firefox.
aaaiieeee.png
User Level: noob

appreciate any insights or help on this! m(_"_)m
Last edited by Moem on Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved into the LMDE support area.
anonymous

Re: firefoxes, logos and panels (oh my!)

Post by anonymous »

alas...it seems no one else is having this issue so no comments; albeit it -is- rather minor! ^^;

some addition investigations i have made over the past couple weeks did provide a little bit on insight though:

1. this issue is not specific to LMDE, it's also on linux mint meaning it's a general cinnamon issue i guess.

2. under /usr/share/applications there is a firefox.desktop file, this seems to be related. i changed the icon in this file and it changed the firefox logos in the panel. my overly-simplistic noob deduction tells me that maybe for certain applications (ie. the ones in this directory) the panel uses these defaults instead of using the real application/icon which is assigned through the launcher?
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

It's a Mint-Y icon theme issue rather than being specific to Cinnamon. Not many people will run both Firefox and Firefox-devel at the same time like you though :)
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

oh, thanks for clearing that up! i have no idea how to fix it but at least i know what the cause is now as it was driving me nuts!

to your comment, yes; using two different flavors of firefox is not so common. but i am already using brave, chrome and icecat for other dedicated purposes so kind of ran out of options ^^;

Return to “Software & Applications”