Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
cwm84
Level 1
Level 1

Keyboard stops responding in LMDE after switching profiles

Post by cwm84 »

I am using LMDE on a Dell Optiplex 980

I was switching from my moms profile to my user account and when I launch chrome the keyboard quits working I cannot type and when I click the start menu and click to log out that dialog box is not clickable either. One time I was able to CTRL ALT BACKSPACE, but the 2nd time I was not able to recover and had to hit the power button on the computer.

I did not check to see if any other programs would let me type.. I just needed to look up something in chrome and thats when I noticed that I couldn't type.

If you need me to run any commands please specify the command in your reply because I am kind of a noob to Linux.. I've used linux for a few years now but I know my way around but not deep down like under the cover modding files and all of that.

Thanks,
Chris
neko-cha

Re: Keyboard stops responding in LMDE after switching profiles

Post by neko-cha »

a similar thing happened to me once, keyboard locked up and couldn't type. by accident i found you can open multiple terminals with ctrl+alt+f1 through to f6, then ctrl+alt+f7 will return you back to your x-session.

to avoid physical poweroff open a terminal then run the poweroff command to cleanly shutdown (except for stuck apps of course).

hope that helps ^^

Return to “Software & Applications”