Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
joeyoung
Level 1
Level 1

Thunderbird update: again

Post by joeyoung »

The recent Thunderbird 78.3.1 fails to connect to IMAP and SMTP servers that are working fine with the previous 68.10.0 version. The 'fix' mentioned in an earlier post says to disable SSL/TLS temporarily and that does allow some connection, but certain folders on the server disappear and are not accessible to the 'fixed' thunderbird (but are still there if looked with a browser/webmail). So, it is not acceptable to simply set security to NONE, and putting the settings back to SSL/TLS (or START/TLS) just makes thunderbird not work again - it just reports "connecting to server..." and never does.

The new version of thunderbird modifies the format of the profile files, so just downgrade installing the previous version then reports that it is unable to use the profile created by the 'newer version'. I've managed to reinstate the previous version to working by copying the ./thunderbird folder from a backup to replace the one created by restarting the reinstalled old version.

Looking at the thunderbird FAQs finds a few hints that the problem may be caused by not using a version of SSL 1.2 or later. My system reports OpenSSL at version 1.1.0l. Does anyone know if this might be true?

Is there any way other than omitting transfer security to make the latest update work?
SilFox
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Thunderbird update: again

Post by SilFox »

LINK
Try this:
Try to change in THUNDERBIRD preferences editor security.tls.version.min from 3 to 1 .
---> From the menu at the top right, go to Options.
Scroll all the way to the bottom and click on Config Editor.
Skip past the warning.
Scroll down until you find security.tls.version.min (or paste security.tls.version.min to upper frame)
Double click on it, and set the value to 1

Mozilla disabled TLS 1.0 and 1.1 in the latest versions of Firefox and Thunderbird. Thunderbird 73b and above.
This causes issues with anyone connecting via SSL/TLS/StartTLS to services uses 1.1.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

I find myself drifting away from Mozilla........

Lately I've been running the Vivaldi browser -- which I see is now in the REPOS. It work fine.

as far as e/mail goes I've been experimenting with both Evolution and Claws. I really like Claws but I think I'll end up using both.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
SilFox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SilFox »

I find myself drifting away from Mozilla........
Smart decision.
Thunderbird is going in a microsoft way; (and Firefox kinda following)
1st sign: New Thunderbird crying for money/donations
2nd : unavoidable updates --- check!
3rd : unavoidable telemetry -- in progress! (mean, still avoidable through settings - but god knows what is packed under UNAVOIDABLE "check for updates")
joeyoung
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joeyoung »

Silfox: That sounds like the right sort of thing to do, but I can't find where to make the change. From the main page upper right menu selector (stack of bars), then preferences, there is no 'options' choice.

The text of the suggestion reads like there should be a 'preferences editor' selection. but I can't find anything like that either. Please clarify how to find that security.tls.version.min item.
joeyoung
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joeyoung »

Never fails...just after saying I can't find something, I find it.

After selecting 'preferences' search for 'editor' (not options), and then a box with config editor shows. The security.tls.version.min item is found among a long list of things. Changing the value to 1 indeed makes it work as before.

Thanks all.
SilFox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SilFox »

... indeed makes it work as before
You can mark thread as [SOLVED] 8)

Return to “Software & Applications”