How do I use Deja dup and backup to google

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
urdrwho
Level 5
Level 5

How do I use Deja dup and backup to google

Post by urdrwho »

Ok, I've tried many different ideas and Deja Dup 38.3 gives the option to back up to google drive. But there is something missing in the set-up. I keep getting waiting for google to be configured error. Trouble is that Deja-dup doesn't have any place to give the sign on for my google drive or any other such hand shaking methods.

All I want to do is backup my home.

Timeshift is good for system backup but by default it doesn't back up home. I could include home (I think) or bits of home but that creates kind of a messy situation.

Ideas please???
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pebcak
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How do I use Deja dup and backup to google

Post by pebcak »

Try this:
Launch "Online Accounts" from the application menu. Add your Google account. After that, configure Déjà Dup. Hopefully it should work now.
urdrwho
Level 5
Level 5

Post by urdrwho »

Well i had no such thing on the synaptic package Deja Dup. I went to one of my computers with Manjaro and installed Deja Dup. In their repository it was version 45. I used it and there were a lot more prompts in that version. Prompts to access Goggle etc. So I am thinking that the LMDE synaptic manager is using an older version that isn't ready for prime time.

The Manjaro version is backing up the Manjaro files right now. Creating the first version says it may take a while and the question now is "how long is a while?" :)
pebcak wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:39 pm Try this:
Launch "Online Accounts" from the application menu. Add your Google account. After that, configure Déjà Dup. Hopefully it should work now.
pebcak
Level 4
Level 4

Post by pebcak »

urdrwho wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:08 am So I am thinking that the LMDE synaptic manager is using an older version that isn't ready for prime time.

The Manjaro version is backing up the Manjaro files right now. Creating the first version says it may take a while and the question now is "how long is a while?" :)
I don't use LMDE. I use the ubuntu-based Linux Mint 20. I have Online Accounts in the application menu.
I don't know how long will DejaDup take for backing up. I don't use DejaDup.
urdrwho
Level 5
Level 5

Post by urdrwho »

It didn't take very long, about 15 minutes to save to Google Drive. This computer is doing it over wireless and I get about 100 Mbps down and 6 up. Ethernet gives me about 250 DL and 6 up.

So at those wireless speeds up it took a bit of time to save and verify.

pebcak wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:12 am
urdrwho wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:08 am So I am thinking that the LMDE synaptic manager is using an older version that isn't ready for prime time.

I don't use LMDE. I use the ubuntu-based Linux Mint 20. I have Online Accounts in the application menu.
I don't know how long will DejaDup take for backing up. I don't use DejaDup.
pebcak
Level 4
Level 4

Post by pebcak »

That's not that bad! I am glad you could make it!

Return to “Software & Applications”