Can I still install kde-full in LMDE4?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
piccobello

Can I still install kde-full in LMDE4?

Post by piccobello »

Hi all,
I am a happy user of LMDE3, and I could install the full KDE desktop there no problem.
Now I would like to installe LMDE4 on a new machine. I just want to make sure that
I will be able to installe the KDE desktop there as well.

I don't see why it would be a problem as Debian is shipping with KDE by default. I'm not afraid of the command line in case some tweaking is needed.

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

PS I did try to search for this but did not find anything related to LMDE4, only LMDE3
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Can I still install kde-full in LMDE4?

Post by antikythera »

I can't see why it should not work okay still with LMDE4. If in doubt backup first as always.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
vonMos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vonMos »

it will make it slower if you install KDE, KDE is crap.... high memory and resources usage...
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

vonMos wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:25 am it will make it slower if you install KDE, KDE is crap.... high memory and resources usage...
Not strictly true, it's as efficient as XFCE these days until you start adding compositor effects like 3D cubes and wobbly windows into the mix.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
vonMos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vonMos »

antikythera wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:03 am
vonMos wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:25 am it will make it slower if you install KDE, KDE is crap.... high memory and resources usage...
Not strictly true, it's as efficient as XFCE these days until you start adding compositor effects like 3D cubes and wobbly windows into the mix.
Yeah, KDE has stuck in my mind as garbage and low efficiency but the new one looks good, also the new KDE makes Cinnamon look like a memory hungry gui :)) i like the Cinnamon UX more that KDE, also the extensions like kill button on the taskbar, quick kill an app with 2 clicks.
Hope with the next Cinnamon version the memory usage to go below 350mb...
Note: For old hardware newer kernels are bad...this is why i use LMDE4 on my old ultrabook with kernel 4.19 LTS, tested the other kernels with benchmark software and the winner was 4.19 LTS , best single / multi core performance.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

If you want to see just how lean KDE can be try out the latest Neon User Edition snapshot ISO sometime (Kubuntu is probably the equivalent of kde-full for Debian but Neon is much more minimal)

I like Cinnamon too these days but there's a problem at present with an intermittent memory leak which grates a little.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

I don't know what it is about KDE but at first boot it feels like the perfect desktop but after awhile there's is just something about it that i find annoying that i can't quite put my finger on, there is lots of options to configure things but there is something about it that feels cack-handed.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

In the current version, not the LTS offered by Debian it's got visual glitches which are distracting like flickering notifications and blurred text in certain dialogues. They also removed the GUI entry for locking widgets (panel and the desktop) which causes major problems with accessibility for folk with Parkinson's or essential tremor. Discover is something I never really trust either, I'd use the pkcon backend from the command line or muon instead over that.
piccobello

Post by piccobello »

Thanks all, I got the answer I was looking for.

BTW as the conversation went awry: I am actually trying to detox from KDE as I also find it bloated, but it's not that bad if you configure it a little. Ihave KDE 4.14.2 running on a very old LMDE3 laptop(Core 2 Duo U9300, 3G RAM) with no problems. I disabled all visual effects and immediately killed all akonadi-related stuff, and whatever search utility was default (was it Nepomuk? I don't even remember. I use find/grep/locate..).

In the beginning I also used to run it on openbox instead of plasma, I guess by installing openbox-kde-session, that makes a huge difference, but now I'm back to plasma again as I missed some of the features, and it runs ok.

I'm in the never ending process of finding alternatives to all KDE features and apps I actually use, I find it hard to beat KDE Connect for example, but I will leave this platform at some point..

I like Mate more than Cinnamon, but I'm a few iterations behind on both, we'll see how it goes with the upgrades..
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

It's possible to use KDEConnect with an applet in Cinnamon, not sure about MATE though. It's not quite as slick as the KDE interface but it works quite well

https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/334
vonMos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vonMos »

antikythera wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:59 am It's possible to use KDEConnect with an applet in Cinnamon, not sure about MATE though. It's not quite as slick as the KDE interface but it works quite well

https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/334
The main problem of Linux are proprietary codecs, thats why i cant view YouTube 1080p with better geekbench performance on Linux, but on windows 10 with lower geekbench performance i can view 1080p video.
Attachments
geekbench.png

Return to “Software & Applications”