[SOLVED] Audio gain issues in Celluloid

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fuzzy
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Audio gain issues in Celluloid

Post by Fuzzy »

It has taken me a while to get used to using Celluloid over VLC or some other player, but I've grown to love it.

An odd thing happened today though - I had been using BlueTooth to connect to my speakers, and I changed to a physical analog jack. When I did so - the audio on my system remained "normal" except for media files playing in Celluloid/mpv. The audio in Celluloid went down to a whisper. I can crank the volume of Celluloid up to 100% (or more), and crank my system volume up to 100% (both using the default Cinnamon panel volume options, and also the volume slider within Celluloid), but then the audio levels of Celluloid are still only at the lowest level I would normally listen to things. No room to turn the volume up if necessary.

I found that if I used

Code: Select all

mpv --replaygain-preamp=10 whatever.mp3
in a terminal - it works great! Problem solved. However, if I place

replaygain-preamp=10
into mpv.conf - it does nothing. Also, that same --replaygain-preamp line throws an error when I attempt to use it in a terminal call to celluloid (celluoid --replaygain-preamp=10) It doesn't know what the --replaygain-preamp option is. Likewise, when I go into Celluloid's preferences and manually point it to the mpv.conf file - it seems to totally ignore it.

I did find that by putting

volume=100
volume-max=120
into my mpv.conf file, that MPV works perfectly every time - so I can pass things to MPV via script, etc. and everything plays just fine. However, even when I have pointed Celluloid to the mpv.conf file - it ignores it. So the audio gain issue remains in Celluloid, even though it is resolved for MPV. I'm a little confused because I though Celluloid was just a front end for mpv, so I'm not sure I understand why things aren't jiving.

Thanks,
Fuzzy
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Audio gain issues in Celluloid

Post by MrEen »

First thing I'd suggest is deleting the files in /home/YourUserName/.config/pulse then run pulseaudio -k in the terminal.

An alternative might be to use pavucontrol instead of the Cinnamon sound app and look at the Playback tab. Chances are the Celluloid volume was dropped there.
Fuzzy
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Audio gain issues in Celluloid

Post by Fuzzy »

Thanks MrEen!

I tried your first suggestion of deleting the files in /home/UserName/.config/pulse, then running pulseaudio -k in the terminal. Everything went back to normal and is now working as expected! Thanks!

That cookie and those tdb files seem odd to me. I looked around, but I haven't been able to find a description of what purpose they serve. Any ideas?

Thanks again for fixing the issue for me - marking as SOLVED.

Fuzzy
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: [SOLVED] Audio gain issues in Celluloid

Post by MrEen »

The cookie is a mystery to me. The tbl files are the ones I most suspect of being corruptible. Deleting them forces PulseAudio to generate a fresh set and this is always a best first step when properly working audio stops working properly.

I actually tried to hack one of the tbl files to find a command line way of adjusting the system sounds volume, but all I achieved was to cause a complete loss of audio. :lol:

Return to “Software & Applications”