[SOLVED] Update flatpaks via update manager

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hazel-bunny
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Update flatpaks via update manager

Post by hazel-bunny »

Is it possible to update flatpak packages installed in a mint/LMDE system via update manager, rather than usual forced updates or using terminal? Or is there a plugin for update manager to do that (say a package like mintupdate-plugin-flatpak or something similar)? If yes, would anybody mind elaborating how to do it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hardware problems on LMDE? Solution:
sudo apt-get install -t buster-backports linux-image-amd64 firmware-linux firmware-misc-nonfree

To use a version of LMDE after EOL, replace mint's Firefox with debian's one
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Update flatpaks via update manager

Post by antikythera »

I don't think so, the Software Manager can install them only, Mint Update and Synaptic do not deal with flatpaks, only deb files. So forced updates or terminal command it is. That's why Clem added the startup application entry to make the machine check for flatpak updates.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
fuzzyeric
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Update flatpaks via update manager

Post by fuzzyeric »

That's why Clem added the startup application entry to make the machine check for flatpak updates.
Then Clem just cost me $50 for datacap overages. Sarching around, there seem to be two options for Flatpak updates:
  • Disable them. So no updates ever. I easily remember to trigger Update Manager when I'm not on a datacapped connection -- it's right there in the tray reminding me that I have updates waiting. But I won't remember to drop to console to update something else.
  • Allow flatpak update to run silently, at uncontrollable times. So endless fees for exceeding datacaps.
There needs to be a third option:
  • Trigger flatpak updates when I launch updates through Update Manager, because that's when I'm not on a datacapped network service.
I'd love to report this through the Linux Mint bugtracker, but neither searching at https://github.com/linuxmint for "Flatpak" nor "Apply Flatpak updates" produces a relevant project.
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [SOLVED] Update flatpaks via update manager

Post by Aztaroth »

You can also manage flatpaks with a script like this one :

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
flatpak uninstall --unused
flatpak update
flatpak list
- Copy in your text editor
- Save the file as Flatpak.sh or something with .sh extension
- Allow it to run as a program either using chmod +x or if you're not familiar with Terminal commands or file properties, right-click on the file in Nemo, access Properties and tick the box 'Allow to run as a program'
- Run it by a double-click in Nemo : it will first uninstall unused flatpaks, update the others and display the list of the paks running on your system.

PS : the two first ops will ask you confirmation (y/n) and allow you to see what will happen on your system. Adding the -y param would automatize the process but you'll stay in the dark about what happened.
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)

Return to “Software & Applications”