(SOLVED) WINE for LMDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jungle
Level 3
Level 3

(SOLVED) WINE for LMDE

Post by jungle »

I have had no trouble installing WINE on Cinnamon and MATE which gives me access to a couple of Windows-based programs which I like to use.

When in LMDE I can download WINE from the Software Manager and have tried doing that but I can't see the WINE application afterwards.

Is it because LMDE is a Debian-based operating system and the WINE application in the Software Manager is Ubuntu based?

Do I need to follow the instructions on the WINE website relating to Debian operating systems which differ from the instructions for Ubuntu & LinuxMint operating systems?

Appreciate information from anyone who knows the answer.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: WINE for LMDE

Post by Moonstone Man »

jungle wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:10 am Appreciate information from anyone who knows the answer.
I didn't know the answer, and perhaps many others won't either, but a simple google search taking only a few seconds answered it for me, so now I do know.

https://linuxhint.com/install_wine_debian_10/

You should follow those instructions for LMDE4, not the Ubuntu/Mint instructions.
jungle
Level 3
Level 3

Re: WINE for LMDE

Post by jungle »

Thanks for that Kadaitcha Man.

Over the past couple of days I had looked and found a number of sites talking about how to do this for Debian Linux distributions and I had tried their suggestions without success.

The site you have suggested is new to me so I have used that process and Terminal commands

The first few 'wget' commands were new to me and did not work to install the required packages. I decided to check the Linux Mint Synaptic Package Manager before trying anything else.

I entered the Linux Synaptic Package Manager and the first two required packages were already installed the third and last one one was present but not installed so I installed it.

From my previous reading on The Wine homepage this is the critical package that foils up most installation attempts if not installed.

I proceeded through the rest of the terminal commands (which were the same as I had tried before).

Looking back on it I think I had managed to get it installed previously, but you need to install a Windows application to get it working and to be able to see Wine in the LMDE Menu.

Different sites suggest installing a game, Rufus or Notepad++ to do this.

I had previously used the Notepad++ installation with success so opted for that and it worked fine. I could then install imgBurn a favourite Windows program using the 'Wine Windows Program Loader (default) and it installed just fine. I have also been successful in downloading and installing foobar 2000, so it is working just as I need.

Thanks for your help. Just great.

Return to “Software & Applications”