Cinnamon Fallback mode VirtualBox

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
corto_muso
Level 1
Level 1

Cinnamon Fallback mode VirtualBox

Post by corto_muso »

Hi everyone, I'm new

For university lessons I need to use Linux Mint on VirtualBox, the problem is that at startup I get the message that Cinnamon has crashed and this doesn't make me work.

I have read many topics and many forums (I have been trying to solve for three days), so I tried to put the 3d acceleration, to add ram .., in short, I "played" with the settings trying everything possible, also comparing myself with other fellow students course and failed.

Maybe it's a driver problem? Can anyone help me out? how can i fix it using the driver manager? Thanks so much.

I put some screenshot. to see the photos right click and open them in a new screen.
Thanks

cat /etc/linuxmint/info

these are the specifications of a friend of mine to which it all works

I really think it is a graphics card and / or driver problem.
thank you very much for helping
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Cinnamon Fallback mode VirtualBox

Post by SMG »

corto_muso wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:44 pmMaybe it's a driver problem? Can anyone help me out? how can i fix it using the driver manager? Thanks so much.

I really think it is a graphics card and / or driver problem.
The images you posted indicate both you and your friend have the exact same graphics installed. Both of you are currently using software rendering which is what llvmpipe on the GLX Renderer: line means.

Driver Manager is only used when installing proprietary third party drivers.

If Cinnamon is crashing, I suggest you check to see if there is an .xsession-errors file and what error messages may be in it if it exists. As I mentioned in your other thread, you are using a very outdated version of LMDE, so I do not know if the same files which are in the current version of Cinnamon were in that version.

In the current version of Cinnamon, ~/.xsession-errors is a hidden file in the home directory. You would need to enable View Hidden Files to see it.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Cinnamon Fallback mode VirtualBox

Post by SMG »

I just looked at the images again. I did not realize you duplicated one and I mixed them up when I wrote my prior post. However, my prior statements stand.

I do want to point out your friend is using different software for creating the virtual machine. That person is using VirtualBox while you are using VMWare. That is why you are seeing a different driver on the driver line. The driver you have should work. If you want the exact same result as your friend, you would need to install VirtualBox.

Here is a comparison of the two VMWare vs Virtualbox – Which One to Choose?.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Software & Applications”