Music Production in LMDE4

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hammer11235
Level 1
Level 1

Music Production in LMDE4

Post by Hammer11235 »

I hope this is the right place for this. I'm a complete and utter noob where linux is concerned. I'm learning, but it feels slow going.

I know that I should upgrade my kernel to a realtime kernel. Honestly, I still need to figure out how to do that. I was wondering if there were any recommendations or requirements for other adjustments to make to LMDE4. What exactly is it that makes one distro "better" for music production than others? Is it just additional programs? Does it make sense to go with a different distro, or is LMDE4 fine for this?

I'm not exactly sure what information is needed to give this advice. My current Kernel is 4.19.0-14-amd64. I plan on installing Jack and Ardour.

Thanks so much
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Music Production in LMDE4

Post by absque fenestris »

As a beginner in Linux, you would probably be far better off with Ubuntu Studio than with LMDE 4.
In any case, you are among those who are equally interested and even as a newcomer you will find help, tips and instructions much easier.
Especially with questions such as the realtime kernel ... https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ubunt ... TimeKernel

https://ubuntustudio.org

absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

adelenew wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:06 pm Actually, LMDE4 has several interesting features not available in Ubuntu Studio. Yeah, it's a bit difficult to understand for a newbie but after a couple of months, it's possible to understand how to use all the features there.
Could you elaborate a bit on the features of LMDE4 that are not available in Ubuntu Studio?

Really makes me wonder and could also be interesting for the opener.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Last edited by adelenew on Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

...But working with this software really helped me to create the music exactly how I wanted. All the sounds were produced good, mixing is on the highest level possible. I'm really satisfied of everything I've done there. ...
I am shocked by the additional amount of information. Now I finally know what terrific features Debian has to offer that Ubuntu does not.

All you have to do is search for "this software" in the Debian repositories. Simple.
Fossy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Fossy »

Hammer11235 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:07 pm ...... I plan on installing Jack and Ardour.
FWIW : advice from one of my children with pianist / music composer ambitions ... recordings , after trying out several programs , her choices :
under Debian 11 : MuseScore 3.2.3 ( … LMDE Flatpak ? )
under Windows 11 : Pro Tools & Reaper ( using provisionally the free versions )

Return to “Software & Applications”