Purge residual configuration

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
appye
Level 2
Level 2

Purge residual configuration

Post by appye »

Hello, I am on 64 bit LMDE4. Every time I click on "Purge residual configuration" in the maintenance section of software sources, the app just freezes and does nothing. The button remains highlighted for a long time until i finally just reboot. To reboot, it then prompts for my root password with the message:
  • Authentication is required for rebooting the system while an application asked to inhibit it.

An application is attempting to perform and action that requires privileges.

Action: org.freedesktop.login1.reboot-ignore-inhibit
    Vendor: The systemd Project
... I am not sure how to proceed from here. I attached a log, Thanks for your time!
Attachments
log messages.txt
(4.96 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
appye
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Purge residual configuration

Post by appye »

Okay, I figured it out. Using Synaptic, I saw that the package, "grub-pc" was listed under status as not installed, but with residual config. As manually purging this config prompts to "Remove GRUB 2 from /boot/grub," the "Purge residual configuration" button was likely getting hung up on that prompt without presenting it to me. Maybe this is a bug?

Anyway, I fixed the issue with "apt-get autoremove --purge grub-pc," this time being careful not to completely remove grub (I actually had to rescue it with timeshift from the installer media because I blindly went through with that the first time!) and now the "Purge residual configuration" button isn't gumming it up anymore.
$ sudo apt-get autoremove --purge grub-pc
[sudo] password for appye:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
grub-pc*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
(Reading database ... 306807 files and directories currently installed.)
Purging configuration files for grub-pc (2.02+dfsg1-20) ...
ucfr: Association belongs to grub-efi-amd64, not grub-pc
ucfr: Aborting
ucfr: Association belongs to grub-efi-amd64, not grub-pc
ucfr: Aborting
$
... This has something to do with EFI and package choices I guess ...
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Purge residual configuration

Post by antikythera »

Yes LMDE4 has a very funky way of installing grub2. That package is not safe to remove unless you have applied the latest updates to your system. If you remove it before updating everything it clears the entire grub configuration which grub2-efi still needs to keep grub2 looking nice (Mint Theme) and behaving properly.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.

Return to “Software & Applications”