Driver manager for LMDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ekanto
Level 1
Level 1

Driver manager for LMDE

Post by ekanto »

Just being curious, is it ever possible to port the Ubuntu based Driver Manager tool for Linux Mint Debian edition? I know Debian is a lot more conservative and restricted distribution than Ubuntu, but previously Linux Mint Devs have done some wonderful works with their projects. I wonder if they got their plans for LMDE too?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
argentwolf
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Driver manager for LMDE

Post by argentwolf »

Blasphemer! The whole brilliant point of LMDE is Mint w/o Ubuntu...along with the stablest of Debian. D'oh!
Last edited by argentwolf on Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vanguard debian, because nothing's worse than doing nothing whimsically.
LMDE 6 | i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz x 8 CPU | 15.6GiB RAM | NVD9 1.9GiB GPU | 931GiB SSD | 298 GiB HD
LMDE 6| 2 Duo T5270 @ 1.40GHz x 2 CPU | 3.9GiB RAM | NV86 117MiB GPU | 465 GiB SSD
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Just being curious, is it ever possible to port the Ubuntu based Driver Manager tool for Linux Mint Debian edition? I know Debian is a lot more conservative and restricted distribution than Ubuntu, but previously Linux Mint Devs have done some wonderful works with their projects. I wonder if they got their plans for LMDE too?
As a general rule of thumb...If you really want to break debian such as LMDE, just add something that was meant for Ubuntu...DAMIEN
hazel-bunny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hazel-bunny »

Maybe build this from source & run it?
Hardware problems on LMDE? Solution:
sudo apt-get install -t buster-backports linux-image-amd64 firmware-linux firmware-misc-nonfree

To use a version of LMDE after EOL, replace mint's Firefox with debian's one
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Maybe build this from source & run it?
Be aware that this is still considered somewhat "experimental", They have said that they might ditch it at any time...DAMIEN

On second thought, this is probably severly outdated as it refers to "Mint 15"
This is essentially the upstream part of Software Properties GTK which handles drivers management, stripped out of the rest of the application and turned into a standalone tool.

This addresses the short-term need for a functional driver manager in Mint 15 and allows us to replace software-properties with mintsources.

Long term we'll see where this goes, whether it's worth continuing with it or whether it gets ditched :)
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

It appears to have Ubuntu dependencies...
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

An 'imported' driver manager can be a very tricky thing. In last month's review on the official Mint blog, Clem himself pointed out that proprietary drivers can mix manual kernel upgrades.
This means that using proprietary drivers like Nvidia will probably prevent you from upgrading the kernel to more recent versions (dependencies won't all be met). My humble experience confirms.
So, having no driver and kernel manager seems to be more a plus for LMDE than a minus : either you use the terminal assuming you know what you're doing, or you keep your fingers from it.
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)
Wiggler
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wiggler »

argentwolf wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:02 am Blasphemer! The whole brilliant point of LMDE is Mint w/o Ubuntu...along with the stablest of Debian. D'oh!
LMDE is Debian-based, but it doesn't mean it should be equally hard and manual like Debian, if it's supposed to be this way, why not using Debian though? Why wasting your time using LMDE if Debian is available after all?

I think the devs should create a driver manager for LMDE as well, as to make it more similar to the flagship edition, not necessary copycat Ubuntu's driver manager, but create something from scratch for this purpose, as Solus, Deepin and Manjaro have done.

If they do it, LMDE will become so usable to the point there would be no difference compared to the Ubuntu version and might be needless to use Ubuntu. See what MX Linux has done to make Debian more appealing and easy to use and replicate it to LMDE.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Wiggler wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:07 am I think the devs should create a driver manager for LMDE as well, as to make it more similar to the flagship edition, not necessary copycat Ubuntu's driver manager, but create something from scratch for this purpose...
Who is paying for it?
Wiggler
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wiggler »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:39 am
Wiggler wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:07 am I think the devs should create a driver manager for LMDE as well, as to make it more similar to the flagship edition, not necessary copycat Ubuntu's driver manager, but create something from scratch for this purpose...
Who is paying for it?
Well, I pay indirectly to the project every year through donations, even though I'm not saying they "must create", but "should create". It's their option to create it or not.
I just think it will make LMDE more appealing to the general public, especially newcomers.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Wiggler wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:50 am I just think it will make LMDE more appealing to the general public, especially newcomers.
That might not be on their radar. LMDE is, after all, just a fallback to make sure that Mint can continue to be developed if the relationship with Ubuntu goes toes up. I certainly wouldn't want my contributions spent on such a feature because it should be considered as experimental, and certainly not for newcomers. The team keeping their options open with the base for LM isn't included in that preceding statement about my contributions. However they do actually seriously develop on it. The Cinnamon DE of LM 20 was backported from LMDE4.

I run LMDE4 as my router and file server. Some types of Linux are not for newcomers, and LMDE is one of them, which is why nearly all the focus is on the main edition, which is for newcomers. So, since the team already have 3 editions for newcomers, a fourth doesn't make sense because they already dropped the 4th edition during the life of LM 18. 18.2 I think it was.

Return to “Software & Applications”