Lmde is almost mint but without ubuntu

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
since2019
Level 3
Level 3

Lmde is almost mint but without ubuntu

Post by since2019 »

I installed lmde 4 debbie 32bit and i cant find the libreoffice 7 like mint 19.3

This is almost impossible. Perhaps on lmde 5 2022 maybe.

Lmde its not entirely workable. It not a mint replace yet even if its almost the same but debian and no ubuntu.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
inxi -Fxz
laptop Kernel: 5.0.0-32-generic i686 bits Cinnamon 4.4.5 Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia TOSHIBA Satellite A135 Dual Core Intel T2080 M Yonah, 800/1733 MHz, Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS Express Integrated Graphics, Drive 111.79 GiB, Memory 0.93 GiB
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Lmde is almost mint but without ubuntu

Post by Aztaroth »

1 - An evidence :
if it were the same, why creating two distros ?

2 - Mint 19.3 is not originally delivered with LO 7. It's the result of an upgrade. If you really need LO 7, LMDE support flatpaks in his Software Manager and you can install it that way.

3 - LMDE does not depend on Ubuntu which is owned by a private company, Canonical. Some years ago, Canonical sold all his datas to an advertising company (I don't remember which one). It swore it won't do it again, but when money's on the table, this kind of oath often doesn't resist very long. That's one of the reason why some users prefer LMDE.
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)
ugurcansayan
Level 1
Level 1
Location: %PERMSN_MISSING% "To resolve this issue, go to Start > Settings > Piracy"

Post by ugurcansayan »

In addition to Aztaroth's reply...

I'm on Linux Mint 20.1, this doesn't have Libre Office 7, either.
Linux Mint 20.1 has Libre Office 6.4.6.2
LMDE 4 has Libre Office 6.1.5.2

*debs, Flatpaks, AppImages or even portable versions are possible for LO7... (not mentioning the sn***ps)
Newbie of Cinnamon on Linux Mint 20.1
hazel-bunny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hazel-bunny »

since2019 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:52 pm I installed lmde 4 debbie 32bit and i cant find the libreoffice 7 like mint 19.3
Press Ctrl + Alt + T to open a terminal, type sudo apt-get install -t buster-backports libreoffice -y and hit Enter. Now you have libreoffice 7 on your LMDE 4 machine. :mrgreen:
Not gonna go through other options like AppImage, Flatpak, downloading .deb files or building from source.
Lmde its not entirely workable. It not a mint replace yet even if its almost the same but debian and no ubuntu.
It's way more workable than most other distros (probably all ubuntu based ones included), just you don't know how to make it work. :x
Hardware problems on LMDE? Solution:
sudo apt-get install -t buster-backports linux-image-amd64 firmware-linux firmware-misc-nonfree

To use a version of LMDE after EOL, replace mint's Firefox with debian's one
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

Plus!!! you stand a good chance of running any stable Debian package without descending into dependency hell.

Do not load any Ubuntu-ised deb packages. Confusing isn't it.
since2019
Level 3
Level 3

Post by since2019 »

Lmde4 was replaced with mint. No libreoffice 7 available for lmde.

Im tired of linux problems and complexity.
inxi -Fxz
laptop Kernel: 5.0.0-32-generic i686 bits Cinnamon 4.4.5 Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia TOSHIBA Satellite A135 Dual Core Intel T2080 M Yonah, 800/1733 MHz, Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS Express Integrated Graphics, Drive 111.79 GiB, Memory 0.93 GiB
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

LMDE = Linux Mint Debian Edition = Mint!
since2019 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:12 am Im tired of linux problems and complexity.
Are you coming from Windows? Linux Windows, so yes, there is a learning curve. Why don't you just stick to the main edition of Mint?
Tolayon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tolayon »

LMDE ist based on Debian Stable, so yes, the packages are by nature older than on mainstream Mint or even Fedora (just to name a "bleeding edge" distro).

Maybe you can switch some repos to Debian Testing, but that could destabilize your entire system (I don't know how much LMDE deviates from pure Debian).

That being said, LMDE ist still considered a "Plan B in the Making" and not really intended for average users as a daily driver.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Gee I guess my Debian testing (Bullseye) + Cinnamon is not an alternative then.
since2019
Level 3
Level 3

Post by since2019 »

do you think that updating cinnamon files make it crash?
the message: cinnamon crash fallback mode
disable applets? yes, and nothing happens, yes many times and nothing.

updating systemd on mint can be a disaster.

i don't know other distros but im using the "best" 32-bit available (almost the most recent one) 19.3 the last.

mint is working, seems that the hdd partition 1 is bad, trying to copy or recovery files from sda1 to the clean install mint sda2 is slow and some corrupted files not working.

im using 2007 laptop 32-bit, can't install 64-bits, can't use chrome browser or chrome os. windows latest trial version 32-bit is working almost entirely great.
no wifi, cant see linux partitions, is more slow than linux.

im not a newbee but linux almost all is terminal commands.
inxi -Fxz
Wiggler
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wiggler »

This issue happens because LMDE is based on the Debian stable branch, if it were based in the testing branch like Ubuntu is, you'd get more up-to-date applications available. Very specific ones are built by Mint, like the Chromium (because even Mint noticed it's too old) and create a more up-to-date version themselves.
This is one of the several reasons for me to not use Debian stable branch for desktop. It was meant for very specific purposes, like servers. A desktop must be up-to-date at some point. See what's Ubuntu is doing using snaps? Nothing more than a way to "beat" the rolling-release models [that were getting popular, especially for gaming purposes] by offering up-to-date applications with a "secure" (questionable) and stable platform, that you don't need to mess up the libs or be worried about dependence hell, missing libs due to version etc. Mint and most distros are using the flatpak platform, which is basically the same thing, however, 100% open-source and decentralized, but from Red Hat.
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

Im tired of linux problems and complexity.
All distros don't have the same level of complexity. You're complaining about LMDE who needs as you pointed in a later post much more terminal commands than standard Mint. If you don't have the time to master it and if your machine runs fine with 19.3 and you feel more comfortable with it, you found your answer to your original question : if there are two branches of Mint, it's because they don't suit the same kind of user.
By the way, Windows is not so simple to master either : if you really want a top running system you have to put your nose and fingers in the registry, defrag disks, and cope with software who don't perform always a clean install or uninstall (no naming those who install spy/adwares). Of course, you always have an install or setup button that performs everything in one click : installation, privacy data stealth, agree with everything Microsoft does with your computer (or you need 6 months reading all the software pre-install contracts)...
In fact, Windows acts like the clever part is on the desktop and the stupid part is on the chair. Linux distros just try to do the opposite : let's prove they're right.
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)
ugurcansayan
Level 1
Level 1
Location: %PERMSN_MISSING% "To resolve this issue, go to Start > Settings > Piracy"

Post by ugurcansayan »

In case you missed it,
Dont Break Debian
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
Newbie of Cinnamon on Linux Mint 20.1
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

ugurcansayan wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:03 am In case you missed it,
Dont Break Debian
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

DontBreakDebian or put another way - or do the stuff that majpooper does.

But to my defence I do test it in a VM first and then on a test system before I deploy real world - so . . . . .
And to so far I only have one PC running on Debian Bullseye Cinnamon (my wife's PC - if she only knew) but it is running according to the "DontBreakDebian" rules because there is nothing she was running on LM 19.3 that can't run on Debian 11 per the "rules". I also have Bulseye running on my laptop - and I am afraid I have gone off the Debian reservation a bit there . . . . but so far no issues - I used it for a whole week at the beach as my daily driver - all went well. Now I am test automatic security updates so we will see.

Return to “Software & Applications”