usb webcam microphone

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JLMD-21
Level 1
Level 1

usb webcam microphone

Post by JLMD-21 »

Hi. I'm not new to Linux Mint, and have been using it for a long time.

My work involves online video conferencing, and I'm using a USB webcam/microphone on a desktop (mini) computer. LM used to recognise both the webcam and the microphone (could identify them in the sound settings panel), and today it is automatically set to internal - there are no other options. My mic and webcam both work, but I noticed that my client could actually hear me prior to my activating my mic. I use both JaneApp & Zoom for Telehealth video-conferencing.
I've had this on one other occasion (a few weeks ago), but this is not normal.
I tested my mic today, and noted that on an online mic check, if I spoke or talked in my home, it was being picked up by the online mic. On google chrome browser, the option to allow mic/video did not come up. On Firefox, that option did come up. However, on both, the microphone is working without a mic attached to my computer.
I need confidentiality in my home and also during my sessions with clients. If I take a phone call, it needs to not be audible. I'm assuming that the internal microphone setting is picking up something in my computer to transfer sound.

I'm wondering if the code used for the program is making it work like this intermittently (very infrequently), and if this is normal. I have also made musical instruments (flutes) and needed to use a mic in order to tune the flute as I was burning the finger holes. Without a mic, no sound was audible. It was not possible to do this without an attached microphone. I'm wondering why I have a mic without a mic installed.

I'm considering getting another webcam/mic. If I disable the internal microphone, will that affect a new webcam. Right now I have sound coming through unless I mute the setting completely. Is this how most people deal with it. My mic light no longer comes on. It used to.

I need microphone only when it is plugged in, and I also need it to be off when I start my sessions - I activate it rather than it being automatically activated. If anyone can help me out around this, I'd appreciate it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Re: usb webcam microphone

Post by Aztaroth »

I don't know if I can do something for you about your specific problem, but without any system info (see viewtopic.php?f=90&t=318644) only fore-tellers can help and you may sit and wait for a while.
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)

Return to “Software & Applications”