xfce 4.16 on LMDE4. How?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ne0h

xfce 4.16 on LMDE4. How?

Post by ne0h »

Hello to all,
you can install xfce 4.16 on LMDE4 (debian 10). 4.12 is present in the buster repo.
Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
comrade
Level 1
Level 1

Re: xfce 4.16 on LMDE4. How?

Post by comrade »

Unfortunately you can't install xfce 4.16 on lmde4. Because lmde uses debian as its base. And software in debian stable only gets bug and security fixes. Moving from xfce 4.12 to 4.16 is a major change, Debian stable doesn't like to do that.

However, to use newer version of some programs you can use debian backports. (but debian backport repository is quite limited, libreoffice and kdenlive are famous debian backports) xfce is a big program, lot of work is required to backport it hence it is not available in debian backports.

Coming back to the question. If you really want to have newer version of xfce with debian stable base, you should rather be using MX linux. They backport latest xfce.

I hope it helps.
ne0h

Re: xfce 4.16 on LMDE4. How?

Post by ne0h »

Hello,
Thank you for your answer.
in fact I imagined. Debian is very conservative. I know MXlinux uses backports a lot, it's a great distro, which I've been using for two years! but then I fell in love with LMDE! so I'll stay on LMDE4, and wait for LMDE5. in debian 11 there will be version 4.16 in the repo, so in case I will install xfce in LMDE5. Thank you very much!!

Return to “Software & Applications”