LMDE + IceWM + Runit + doas = Lightning Fast

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Eirikr1848
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE + IceWM + Runit + doas = Lightning Fast

Post by Eirikr1848 »

LMDE with Sid + using IceWM as the window manager, runit to replace systemd, and doas to replace sudo results in such a freaking fast experience that makes a Dell Vostro 1000 with an ancient AMD TK-57 CPU fly.

Add Mesa 22.1 drivers for the Radeon Xpress 1150, and it has full OpenGL 2.1 hardware acceleration.

That being said:

1) Are there any Mint themes for IceWM to make it look… well… more Minty?
2) Is there a way to unify the theme across GTK apps + the IceWM experience?

Even with systemd instead of runit - it seems like packaging this all together with a beautiful theme would make for one HECK of a distro! (How… how does that happen?!)

Anyway just thought I would check in to say “hey, IceWM is cool, why aren’t we using it!?”
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: LMDE + IceWM + Runit + doas = Lightning Fast

Post by xenopeek »

Linux Mint doesn't make IceWM themes so you'll have to find something yourself. You can get IceWM themes here: https://www.box-look.org/browse?cat=142&ord=latest. Several people have made a "Mint" theme for IceWM it looks like.
topopox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by topopox »

Eirikr1848 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:06 am
Hey I'm going to try a similar thing, what procedure did you follow to switch from systemd to runit?
Last edited by karlchen on Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: shortened full quote of the post two above
wow_vabis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wow_vabis »

topopox wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:59 pm
Hey I'm going to try a similar thing, what procedure did you follow to switch from systemd to runit?
Same story similar to my story. How to use Runit on Mint?
cpedretti
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cpedretti »

wow_vabis wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:22 am
topopox wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:59 pm
Purging systemd from linux mint is an unspeakable misery.

If you want a debian under runit there is devuan which offers it, after that you just have to make it look like the mint environment.
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - 32GB DDR4 RGB White - RTX4060TI O8GB White- SSD NVME Crucial P5 500GB - Mobo Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550 V2 - PSU Corsair RM750 White - Case Corsair 5000D Airflow White 7 fans AF120 ARGB - AIO Corsair H100I Cappelix 240 White
wow_vabis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wow_vabis »

cpedretti wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:50 am
wow_vabis wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:22 am
topopox wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:59 pm Hey I'm going to try a similar thing, what procedure did you follow to switch from systemd to runit?
Purging systemd from linux mint is an unspeakable misery.

If you want a debian under runit there is devuan which offers it, after that you just have to make it look like the mint environment.
Just go with MX Linux. It is both antiX and Debian based, lightweight and supports OpenRC (Indirectly) and SysVinit (Default init). Or you can just use systemD if you want. MX Linux is a big project for me. I didn't go with Devuan, I don't know why either.

*If you fell in love with the package manager of distributions like Fedora, go with Distrobox.
dtor-aelek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dtor-aelek »

If that truly becomes an issue, I have successfully removed Systemd from a Linux Mint system. The trick is to add the LMDE repos to a basic Devuan Installation (NO XORG/WAYLAND CAN BE USED AT THIS TIME!) and installing all dependencies from the mint-meta-core package (except for mintupdate), any customization packages (e.g. wallpapers, icons cursors, etc). Once you have successfully installed the LMDE base packages (you can check if you install neofetch), install the GTK desktop of choice. In a VM, I chose MATE. The project is stored on archive.org and is accessable to install via AQEMU.

to do this yourself, assuming you are root:
add the repo for elsie (with all options) to "/etc/apt/sources.list" deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ elsie main [options]
apt update --allow-insecure-repositories
apt install linuxmint-keyring --allow-unauthenticated
apt update
apt info mint-meta-core
apt install [mint-meta-core dependencies] DO NOT ADD "mintupdate" as this requires Systemd.
apt install slick-greeter icewm doas grub2-theme-mint lightdm-settings (quite personally I like MATE in place of IceWM)

Return to “Software & Applications”