install papirus icon pack from official repo:[Solved]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ne0h

install papirus icon pack from official repo:[Solved]

Post by ne0h »

https://github.com/PapirusDevelopmentTe ... icon-theme
i follow this guide for debian.
but when i:

Code: Select all

sudo gpg --no-default-keyring --keyring gnupg-ring:/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/papirus.gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv E58A9D36647CAE7F
i have this error:

[gpg: failed to create temporary file '/root/.gnupg/.#lk0x000056282de0ee80.brick.47223': File o directory non esistente
gpg: connecting dirmngr at '/root/.gnupg/S.dirmngr' failed: File o directory non esistente
how i can solve that?
thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: install papirus icon pack from official repo:

Post by Termy »

If I were you, I'd forgo those instructions, and not bother with a PPA (unnecessary for icon themes), instead just placing the icon theme directories into '~/.icons/'; it's really that simple. Sometimes installation instructions overcomplicate matters, confusing people who aren't familiar with Linux. TBQH, I've probably been guilty of doing that myself. :oops:

Note that the following instructions don't verify the files in any way, which is what the gpg(1) step does (in a very thorough way).

So, what I would do is, install git(1) so you can work with Git repositories:

sudo apt-get install git
Clone the repository to the current directory:

git clone 'https://github.com/PapirusDevelopmentTeam/papirus-icon-theme'
Copy the icon theme directories to your HOME:

cp -r papirus-icon-theme/{Papirus{,-Light,-Dark},ePapirus{,-Dark}} ~/.icons/
If you want, you can now uninstall git(1):

sudo apt-get remove git
Just ran those commands myself, and it worked fine. It's a nice theme. :) Remember to remove that 'papirus-icon-theme' repository directory if you don't need it anymore.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
ne0h

Post by ne0h »

thank you!
Demmers
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Demmers »

Termy wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:13 pm If I were you, I'd forgo those instructions, and not bother with a PPA (unnecessary for icon themes), instead just placing the icon theme directories into '~/.icons/'; it's really that simple. Sometimes installation instructions overcomplicate matters, confusing people who aren't familiar with Linux. TBQH, I've probably been guilty of doing that myself. :oops:

Note that the following instructions don't verify the files in any way, which is what the gpg(1) step does (in a very thorough way).

So, what I would do is, install git(1) so you can work with Git repositories:

sudo apt-get install git
Clone the repository to the current directory:

git clone 'https://github.com/PapirusDevelopmentTeam/papirus-icon-theme'
Copy the icon theme directories to your HOME:

cp -r papirus-icon-theme/{Papirus{,-Light,-Dark},ePapirus{,-Dark}} ~/.icons/
If you want, you can now uninstall git(1):

sudo apt-get remove git
Just ran those commands myself, and it worked fine. It's a nice theme. :) Remember to remove that 'papirus-icon-theme' repository directory if you don't need it anymore.
This is exactly what I was just looking for myself after having just installed LMDE to replace standard Mint! Question though, does this method allow for upgrades through the Update Manager, or is this now to be done manually?
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Demmers wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:39 pm Question though, does this method allow for upgrades through the Update Manager, or is this now to be done manually?
It's 100% separate. Luckily, it's just an icon theme, so you don't need to keep updating it. Anecdote alert: I have a mouse cursor theme I've used for well over 10 years, and I haven't looked for an update in all that time. Not everything needs to be updated. That being said, an icon theme update may include icons for new things, which you might actually want. I wouldn't be too concerned about updating an icon theme though, especially one which has been around for quite a while. YMMV.
Demmers
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Demmers »

Termy wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:22 pm It's 100% separate. Luckily, it's just an icon theme, so you don't need to keep updating it. Anecdote alert: I have a mouse cursor theme I've used for well over 10 years, and I haven't looked for an update in all that time. Not everything needs to be updated. That being said, an icon theme update may include icons for new things, which you might actually want. I wouldn't be too concerned about updating an icon theme though, especially one which has been around for quite a while. YMMV.
Thanks, I did think as much. The only reason I asked is because I recently replaced my standard Mint with LMDE 5, and I had Papirus on that. I couldn't figure out why some icons were different after having just installed Papirus on LMDE, until I noticed the deb package was last updated early 2021! So I uninstalled, and went through the above. Now I have everything as it was before! The main difference that bugged me was that Papirus added colourful icons in the Weather applet. Now I have them back.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: install papirus icon pack from official repo:[Solved]

Post by Termy »

Demmers wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:32 pm [...]
Ah. Dang, they must be actively working on that theme — noice! What you can do, is cd into the repository directory, then run git pull to see if there are any updates; if there are, remove the files you transferred over with cp(1), then copy the new ones over.

...and thanks for that. ;)

Return to “Software & Applications”