Timeshift indicator stuck ON after Cinnamon 5.4.10 update

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Timeshift indicator stuck ON after Cinnamon 5.4.10 update

Post by antikythera »

I have the new system tray icon showing at the moment, first time I have seen it actually but Timeshift is not running at all. There's no sign of it or rsync in system monitor processes tab with all processes showing and no mount point either in the file systems tab.

History of updates showing what changed today:

Last edited by LockBot on Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Timeshift indicator stuck ON after Cinnamon 5.4.10 update

Post by antikythera »

It's actually gone now Timeshift has finally run it's daily event, hopefully it's put itself right but I'll keep an eye for it from now on.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

antikythera wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:48 pm I have the new system tray icon showing at the moment, first time I have seen it actually but Timeshift is not running at all.
Right after LM21 came out (with the newer Cinnamon version), someone did ask why they didn't have the icon when their Timeshift was running. This may have been the attempt to fix that issue of it not showing?

It is supposed to show if automated updates or automated system snapshots are running in the background, but I do not know under which package it falls.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

maybe mintreport? there's no separate process for the monitor and that would be the most logical in my mind as it comes up where mintreport icon usually does when it wants to report a new language pack or issue.

it confused me seeing it there for 20 minutes when my system takes literally seconds to a minute depending on the changes to root do a daily snapshot which in the end happened bang on schedule at 22:05 since yesterday's was that time too.

that's why I went and checked system monitor because I know what happens normally in there when timeshift is actually running.

EDIT - yes it's mintreport-tray, i killed it and the icon disappeared

It's misleading because Timeshift runs minimum 10 minutes after the system starts if scheduled to do a boot or daily snapshot. So the icon that appears after a 40 second delay when mintreport loads will have users thinking that their system is being tied up and slowed down when it actually isn't for 10+ minutes.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

antikythera wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:20 pmEDIT - yes it's mintreport-tray, i killed it and the icon disappeared
Because of the issue I mentioned earlier (when the person asked why it was not showing), I presumed there would be a bug report somewhere for it. I was not able to find one so I'm not sure how the issue is being handled.
antikythera wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:20 pmIt's misleading because Timeshift runs minimum 10 minutes after the system starts if scheduled to do a boot or daily snapshot. So the icon that appears after a 40 second delay when mintreport loads will have users thinking that their system is being tied up and slowed down when it actually isn't for 10+ minutes.
Keep in mind that it is not just for Timeshift. The new features explanation indicates two different possibilities, automated updates or snapshots. So the initial one you are seeing may be related to the "automatic updates" part and not Timeshift. They may have it triggered when Update Manager runs its check to see if something is available? I do not know the details of the design or what they had to change because it was not showing for people in the originally released version. It's possible this may still not be working properly for all hardware and situations.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

It says timeshift snapshot the whole time, nothing about automatic updates but then I don't have automated updates enabled. I don't mind filing a bug if needed but I'll do so on Monday at the earliest (so I will check again then before filing one to see if someone else has) as I am driving over to the British Touring Car Championships in Snetterton very early in the morning.
Last edited by antikythera on Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

antikythera wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:13 pm It says timeshift snapshot the whole time, nothing about updates but I don't have automated updates enabled.
Okay. Sounds like it still needs some work then.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Until it's fixed, disabling the startup application entry for System Reports is a viable workaround. Experienced users who don't require the hand-holding service may want to leave that disabled anyway.

EDIT - bug filed: https://github.com/linuxmint/mintreport/issues/83
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

[FIXED]Re: Timeshift indicator stuck ON after Cinnamon 5.4.10 update

Post by antikythera »

The latest set of updates has resolved this issue, it took a little under 3 weeks for the fix to roll out to LMDE5 as well.

Return to “Software & Applications”