[SOLVED] update Java

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Chaoshay
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] update Java

Post by Chaoshay »

Hello to all :D
I need/want to update my java from 11 to 19 and seems I'm running into some difficulties.
Any dedicated LMDE tutorial on it?

Thanks in advance,
Shay
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The Muffin Man
Level 5
Level 5

Re: update Java

Post by The Muffin Man »

How did you install JDK 11?
Last edited by The Muffin Man on Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Go ahead. I don't shop here."
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dave0808 »

Chaoshay wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:13 am I need/want to update my java from 11 to 19 and seems I'm running into some difficulties.
Technically, any 'updates' to your system will only apply to the openjdk-11-jre package, so it would still be Java 11.

At the moment though, Java 19 isn't available in the LMDE repos, so you won't be able to use the Package Manager to get this version. Only Java 17 is available as an alternative, possible because it is the latest LTS version.

I'm curious as to why you need Java 19. It's only been out for a month and therefore it would be surprising if any software was already making it a prerequisite. That said, if you need to download and install directly, rather than using the Package Manager, I would suggest looking at the OpenJDK website for further details.
The Muffin Man
Level 5
Level 5

Post by The Muffin Man »

If I needed JDK 19 then I'd download it from:
https://jdk.java.net/19/
un-tar it to
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.19.0-openjdk-amd64
I symlink
to
default-java -> java-1.19.0-openjdk-amd64
And if you want it to be the version at the command line, you'll have to update alternatives.
"Go ahead. I don't shop here."
Chaoshay
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Chaoshay »

Thank you very much!

Return to “Software & Applications”