LMDE 4

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fblais
Level 2
Level 2

LMDE 4

Post by fblais »

I really want to continue to use LMDE 4 (related to some specific software) but now it bugs me that support has stopped.
How can I stop those warnings please?

Thanks in advance,
François
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
--
Ce message provient du Québec! :)
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: LMDE 4

Post by karlchen »

fblais wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:49 pmHow can I stop those warnings please?
By upgrading to LMDE 5 obviously.
In case you insist on continuing to use a release, which has passed the end of its supported life time, you are on your own. This is what "end of supported life" means.
fblais wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:49 pmI really want to continue to use LMDE 4 (related to some specific software)
Which specific software is it that requires LMDE 4 and that cannot be run LMDE 5, please?

The reason for asking is finding out whether your reason for clinging to a de-supported LMDE release really exists. This might just be an assumption. But without knowing which specific software you are talking about, there is no way of giving valid advice.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

If you want to stay on LMDE4 you should probably downgrade it to Debian 10 Buster; remove the Linux Mint repositories and downgrade security critical software installed from there to the Debian version. So you will get security updates for a bit longer. At minimum replace the web browser installed from the Linux Mint repository with one from the Debian repository, because that is the most critical app for home user to keep up to date with security fixes.

You can see what was in the Linux Mint repository for LMDE 4 here: http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=debbie

Debian 10 reached end of support in August last year. The long-term support team has taken over maintenance and will provide support for another 16 months before Debian 10 reaches end of life. So whether you upgrade to LMDE 5 now or not, you will need to upgrade to something next year.

There is no "opt out" for the end of life notice LMDE gives, if that is what you're getting and the reason for what you're asking. You'd have to edit the source code to change it I think, or uninstall System Reports.
fblais
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fblais »

Thanks guys.
For the time being, I'm running on a older PC with an old Nvidia-based video card.
It needs Nvidia legacy drivers 340xx, and they are not provided in Debian Bullseye, which LMDE5 is based on.
Oh well...
--
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, François.

Serious question, no kidding: does your Nvidia card only work properly, provided you install the proprietary Nvidia driver v340? The open-source driver nouveau is not good enough?

I ask, because my old Nividia cards here (geForce 8500GT and ION) have to put up with the nouveau driver.
Have not bothered to fiddle around with the proprietary Nvidia driver software for 5 years at minimum.

Well, in the end it is your decision. And of course, what works for my hardware, may not work properly for your Nvidia card.
But you might try the LMDE 5 live system in order to find out. The live system will definitely load the nouveau driver, when it recognizes your Nvidia card.

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
fblais
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fblais »

Thanks.
The Nouveau driver definitely works.
Its just that in order to use the GPU for distributed computing (BOINC), the NVIDIA driver is required.

Regards,
François
--
fblais
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fblais »

On a side note:
Mint 20.3 (Ubuntu based) does what I want, but I wanted to install a LMDE partition too.
Guess I'll end up upgrading to LMDE5 and forget about running BOINC there.
--

Return to “Software & Applications”