[SOLVED] Kernel and Audio Issue (i915 stuttering)

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Acetone
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Kernel and Audio Issue (i915 stuttering)

Post by Acetone » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:28 am

Playing audio from a video, youtube, or mp3 gives me random audio bugs which I would try to describe as: stuttering; scratched audio CD effect; something that looks like a starving buffer; almost decent audio for the 386 era (pick the one you prefer).
The audio is fine but bugs for a second or two every minutes or so.

System is a Toshiba Satellite C870 (Intel 2nd generation and i915), LMDE 3 Cindy, kernel 4.9.0-8.

The sound used to be working fine on LM 18.x. It works fine on LM 19.1 but, for some reason, LM 19 takes minutes to boot while LMDE takes seconds.

I've tried to upgrade the kernel using stretch backports to see if it helps, here's a summary:
  • LMDE 3 from live cd (default kernel): sound issue
  • After updating, kernel 4.9.130-2: same issue
  • Using stretch backport, kernel 4.19.12-1: no more audio issue, but startup problems (see below)
When using backport's kernel, I get warnings about missing kernel modules

Code: Select all

W: plymouth: The plugin label.so is missing, the selected theme might not work as expected.
W: plymouth: You might want to install the plymouth-themes package to fix this.
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/skl_dmc_ver1_27.bin for module i915
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/kbl_dmc_ver1_04.bin for module i915
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/cnl_dmc_ver1_07.bin for module i915
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/glk_dmc_ver1_04.bin for module i915
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/kbl_guc_ver9_39.bin for module i915
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/bxt_guc_ver9_29.bin for module i915
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/skl_guc_ver9_33.bin for module i915
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/kbl_huc_ver02_00_1810.bin for module i915
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/bxt_huc_ver01_07_1398.bin for module i915
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/skl_huc_ver01_07_1398.bin for module i915
Which I fixed by getting these files from https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke ... rmware.git

Now when booting, I get ACPI errors, possibly due to a bug in uefi firmware (bug described here: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=199983).
I don't know if it's related or not but now, apart from this acpi thing, LMDE boots fine, reaches the login screen, but after entering the password I get a black screen and nothing seems to happen. If I wait a few seconds and hit enter, the startup resumes and I reach cinnamon. It's like pressing enter validates and invisible error popup.

At this point, I need assistance. 3 possible ways I can think of:
  • Fix LMDE kernel's audio issue somehow
  • Fix backport 4.19 kernel startup issue
  • Try another kernel: I know 4.15 used to be working fine in LM 18.3 but I don't know how to install it (backport only gives me the latest version)
Last edited by Acetone on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Acetone
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Kernel and Audio Issue (stuttering)

Post by Acetone » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:14 am

Looks like I have fixed it.

I went with backport's 4.19 kernel since it fixes my audio issue, then I backported wife and children to fix start-up issues as well. So far so good, the system still complains about buggy acpi but it boots in less than 10s and everything seems to work perfectly. You got to love Debian and LMDE :)

For the record, here are the wife and children:

Code: Select all

apt install -t stretch-backports dkms e2fslibs e2fsprogs firmware-linux firmware-linux-nonfree firmware-misc-nonfree libdrm-intel1 libdrm2 libefiboot1 libefivar1 libegl1-mesa libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx libglapi-mesa libgles2-mesa libwayland-client0 libwayland-cursor0 libwayland-egl1-mesa libwayland-server0 linux-libc-dev systemd systemd-sysv udev

Return to “Hardware Support”