[Solved] External DVD burner

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cooky
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] External DVD burner

Post by cooky »

Hi,

Would you recommend me an external DVD burner fully supported by LMDE which also likes many different kinds of DVDs. Mine doesn't like to burn JVC discs or some DL, as well.

Thx,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: External DVD burner

Post by antikythera »

I use and sell Pioneer or LG optical burners, both of those brands make drives that support media quite well but no burner will support all available brands of media properly.

I use Verbatim, Maxell and Sony optical media.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi cooky,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

I have an older LG external USB DVD writer (less than $30) and an LG external slim portable Blu-Ray writer (model: bp50nb40) and both work well with all discs that I have tried. Never tried JVC discs though.

The previous reply states they sell these drives as well, but these are also available at Amazon.com, eBay, local stores like Best buy, office supply stores, etc...

Amazon.com: LG Electronics 8X USB 2.0 Super Multi Ultra Slim Portable DVD Rewriter External Drive with M-DISC Support for PC and Mac, Black (GP60NB50):
https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-P ... B00C2AMK2M

Amazon.com: LG Electronics 6X Blu Ray Writer 8X DVD Writer +/- RW USB 2.0 Super Multi Ultra Slim Portable with M-DISC Support (Black) WP50NB40: Electronics
https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-E ... 239&sr=1-3

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

I sell internal slim (slot and tray) and full sized drives as part of system builds, I wasn't offering to sell the OP one. The external drives use the same components as the slim internals but in a USB housing of course.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
cooky
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cooky »

Okay, thank you Guys for your replies !
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi cooky,

You are welcome from all of us that replied...

I forgot to mention, that I also have Asus DVD burner writer drives (5.25 inch) that are Internal but work very well in Linux.
Amazon.com : asus dvd burner
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=asus+dvd+bur ... b_ss_i_4_8

These can be made external using a Sata/IDE/Pata to USB adapter with its own power supply (USB2 or USB 3 options). These are handy for converting Internal hardware to external USB and for testing various hardware.

Example
Amazon.com: AGPtek SATA/PATA/IDE Drive to USB 2.0 Adapter Converter Cable for Hard Drive Disk HDD 2.5" 3.5" with External AC Power Adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/AGPtek-Drive-Ada ... B00BIE996S

*** If you plan on playing store bought DVD movies, you will need to install some extra software (libdvd-pkg) and perhaps setting the drive's region code using "regionset".

cd burner for mint 19 - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=279918&p=1542811#p1542811

Dvd's won't play <SOLVED> - Linux Mint Forums
- regionset
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=267440&hilit=regionset

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Hardware Support”