[SOLVED] LMDE boot hangs after NVIDIA Vulkan 450.66-1

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
THN2000
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] LMDE boot hangs after NVIDIA Vulkan 450.66-1

Post by THN2000 »

Hi

I got offered today to update my nvidia drivers to the version in this post's subject. During install I got an error message, see attachment. I clicked OK and finished the install without apparent problems.

After reboot I got some FAILED messages flying by on the console which I couldn't read quickly enough. The boot stops a little later when still in text mode with a blinking cursor before starting the graphical desktop. I still have access to /var/log from another partition and can provide any needed information.

Please advise, thank you.

Best regards

T.
Attachments
LMDE NVIDIA Vulkan 450.66 error-1.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
THN2000
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE boot hangs after NVIDIA Vulkan 450.66-1

Post by THN2000 »

I appologize, it seems I am duplicating this post in Newbie and this one in Installation.

However, if I can provide any additional info, I'll be happy to do so.

T.
THN2000
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE boot hangs after NVIDIA Vulkan 450.66-1

Post by THN2000 »

Picking up on the reco to blacklist any further updates on nvidia drivers (after the 440.100 version):

When being offered an update of nvidia (like 450.xxx) in the mintUpdate manager...

1) right click on the proposed nvidia driver update and select the second option in the menu ("never consider upgrades for this package")
s1.jpg
2) verify in settings => negativ list that the driver is added here to the list.
s2.jpg
The update manager should now show a check symbol and no further updates should be proposed.

T.
champloo

Re: [SOLVED] LMDE boot hangs after NVIDIA Vulkan 450.66-1

Post by champloo »

How did you fix the black screen issue or the boot hang, as you call it?
THN2000
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] LMDE boot hangs after NVIDIA Vulkan 450.66-1

Post by THN2000 »

I am using timeshift :wink:

If you don't have a usable snapshot to restore to, I'm basically out of ideas, sorry.

If you can still manage to boot to a usable console (maybe with <ALT-Fn>), you should probably try to block the driver update in mintUpdate from the console with something like

Code: Select all

gsettings set com.linuxmint.updates blacklisted-packages "['nvidia-graphics-drivers']"
or directly in apt (see here). And then perform

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get upgrade
or look here.

The problem is that the upgrade consists of all the following packages:
s3.jpg

So I don't have the exact commands and sequence to type.

T.

Return to “Hardware Support”