Nvidia FX5500 AGP - Drivers

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hugomenezes

Nvidia FX5500 AGP - Drivers

Post by hugomenezes »

Hi, I install this version on this machine:
Pentium 4 3.06Ghz
2GB DDR400Mhz
SSD 120GB
Nvidia FX5500

I had trouble to install drivers for VGA. Anyone can help me?
Best Regards
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Nvidia FX5500 AGP - Drivers

Post by antikythera »

If supported at all it will be in the nouveau drivers only which come with Linux Mint or any other linux distribution.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Please give us information about your install by entering this command in a terminal:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxrz
Enclose the results between [code] and [/code] code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply. This will let us know how Mint sees your hardware.

As antikythera mentioned, the only possible drivers for your Nvidia card are the nouveau drivers which usually install automatically.

If you installed Mint and are not able to get a screen then scroll to the "Solving freezes during the boot sequence" on the Release Notes for Linux Mint 19 Xfce. You will see the instructions for using nomodeset.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
hugomenezes

Post by hugomenezes »

Hi,
Where is the printscreen
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

hugomenezes wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:12 am Hi,
Where is the printscreen
Open your reply box here in the thread and click the </> button on the mini toolbar above the textbox. This will put [code][/code] in the reply box.

Then go to the terminal and select Edit (Editar) > 'Select All' which will highlight all your text. Then select Edit>Copy which saves a version in a temporary space. Then click in the reply box in between the ][ part of the [code][/code] (the middle part) and press Ctrl-V and the temporary copy will now be displayed in your reply box.

You can then click the 'Preview' button under the reply text box to see if everything looks correct.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
You posted in the LMDE section of the forum which is for Linux Mint Debian (based on Debian). Your information indicates you installed Linux Mint 19.3 (LM) which is based on Ubuntu. Did you want to install LMDE or LM?

If you wanted to install LM, then it looks like something may have happened when the nouveau driver installed because it is not picking up your display.
Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA NV34 [GeForce FX 5500] vendor: LeadTek Research
driver: nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 10de:0326
Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.8 driver: nouveau
unloaded: fbdev, modesetting, vesa tty: N/A
OpenGL: renderer: NV34 v: 1.5 Mesa 20.0.8 direct render: Yes

Are there any recommendations in Driver Manager for Xorg-server-nouveau driver?
hugomenezes

Post by hugomenezes »

Hi, I notice i made wrong installation... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I´m informatic tecnition and i try to install on all computers Mint linux and ask people do made a 1€ donation for each installation on mint website.
So what i want to do? When a customer brings a computer to repair if the computer is very old (example: Pentium 4 northwood) with Windows XP or Windows 7 32bits , i install Linux mint Debian.
The question is the GPU support... using old GPUs and make the windows animation run smooth the same was Windows XP.
I received many ATI 9200 AGP and Nvidia FX5200 AGP, this GPUs are prepared to rum smoothly?

Best Regards
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Possibly recognised but highly unlikely to run smoothly with anything other than XFCE desktop environment, even with that composition effects may be too demanding. LMDE4's default Cinnamon desktop environment on either of those ancient GPU with a Pentium 4 processor is asking a lot.

You have the hardware so try it out. The worst that can happen is you waste a couple of hours.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
raspu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by raspu »

I think you should install Mint XFCE 19.x in those old machines. LMDE comes with the Cinnamon desktop which needs more memory and more powerful graphics hardware.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

I would go even more lightweight and try antix.
hugomenezes

Post by hugomenezes »

The Ubuntu version close new OS for 32bits right? And Debian still development for 32bits?

Best Regards
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

hugomenezes wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:20 am The Ubuntu version close new OS for 32bits right? And Debian still development for 32bits?

Best Regards
Linux Mint 19 Xfce has a 32bit version and is supported until April 2023.
Linux Mint 20 only has a 64 bit version.
hugomenezes

Post by hugomenezes »

Its better use Debian version ?
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

It's better to try them and see what works. LMDE4 would be supported longer than Mint 19 but how long are you really expecting this old hardware to continue working?

The reason I also suggested Antix is because it is Debian based but uses a much lighter weight desktop setup, so should run much better on your near enough 20 year old systems that you are trying to salvage.
hugomenezes

Post by hugomenezes »

I still use until die :).
I bought a new graphics card, ATI HD4650 AGP and workd great!
Thks very much for your help!

Return to “Hardware Support”