New motherboard, same LMDE4

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
topolinik

New motherboard, same LMDE4

Post by topolinik »

I replaced the motherboard on my HP laptop, as the previous one got someway broken.
Now, since this new board mounts different cpu, different gpu, different sound card (maybe other stuff), should I need some kind of update for the OS?
First thing I did was a

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
in order to push the proper firmware blobs into kernel images (new proc is a kaby lake).
Next up?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: New motherboard, same LMDE4

Post by antikythera »

If everything seems to work, next up is nothing. Just use it like normal. update-grub however doesn't apply any potentially missing firmware blobs. The only reason that would need running is if you removed some commands or added some to /etc/default/grub.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: New motherboard, same LMDE4

Post by antikythera »

Just incase you or anyone else transfers LMDE4 to completely different hardware in the future, I just tried something because I got bored and it worked fine. I used Timeshift to restore an image from my laptop which is 100% Intel based to my AMD Athlon desktop with an nvidia GPU installed. It didn't bat an eyelid and booted fine apart from a delay cause by the wrong swap UUID.

The only things I did after the first boot to do was correct the UUID value for the swap partition which fixed that, re-run sensors-detect and remove the coretemp module from etc/modules, change the hostname and install the proprietary nvidia driver.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.

Return to “Hardware Support”